Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wont be doing this to my car, but i was just curious: If someone wanted to fab up some turbo piping themselves, and buy a used turbo, but only run say....4 pounds or less of boost, you should be able to get away with not upgrading internals, fuel system, etc, correct? If done correctly/cheaply, that would be a fairly cheap way to gain 20-30 hp or so, wouldnt it?

Another scenario: What if one were to use a small turbo that spooled up quickly, and program a boost controller to slowly decrease the boost up till the peak horsepower power RPM, where the boost would be zero. That way, you wouldnt gain any peak power (you might actually lose some due to exhaust restriction), but you would gain a lot of low end streetable power. Theoretically, you could do this without upgrading internals and the fuel system, correct?

Just some random thoughts I had, maybe im completly off track, feel free to tell me im a moron or w.e.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by minutiesabotage@Mar 28 2004, 08:16 PM
Another scenario: What if one were to use a small turbo that spooled up quickly, and program a boost controller to slowly decrease the boost up till the peak horsepower power RPM, where the boost would be zero. That way, you wouldnt gain any peak power (you might actually lose some due to exhaust restriction), but you would gain a lot of low end streetable power. Theoretically, you could do this without upgrading internals and the fuel system, correct?

Just some random thoughts I had, maybe im completly off track, feel free to tell me im a moron or w.e.
that is totaly not worth it for the price and cost of what you want to do. that is a bad idea, im assuming your only wanting to limit the boost as the rpms increase is so that you can keep the stock fuel system, im assuming again this is so you dont have to pay for new injectors and a fuel pump, the price of your electronic boost controller, of which id assume would have to be a very advanced one, would cost quite a bit. the most basic electronic boost controller i know of costs like 400 new and i dont believe it would be capable of doing close to what you want with the gradual lowering of boost as the rpms increase. the price of injectors and a fuel pump and a manual boost controller which is much cheaper then a electronic one and can even be made by you for close to nothing, and is much less then the cost of a advanced electronic boost controller that would be able to do what you want and even if it cost the same or even a little bit less then the fuel system stuff, the gains you would get would be worth the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts