Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Turbo would be a nightmare to get working. S/C is a posibility and it's been done on a G1 Vulcan. What do you have, Duratec or Vulcan?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Single overhead valve? The Vulcan's an Overhead Valve AKA pushrod AKA 12v. The Duratec's the Dual Overhead Cam AKA 24v.

Vulcan:

Duratec:

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Hey, anything is possible given the right budget!

Sorry.. seen too many "is it possible threads"

But really, getting an SC installed and working is probably simpler then a turbo application. we have a couple supercharged 3.8's around here I think...

-Dan

·
Registered
177 Posts
what are all the difficulties of turboing a car? if u know what u are doing then its not nitemare. using and typ of forced induction will cause the fuel requirement problems. all u are doing in a turbo set up is rerouting exhaust to the turbo, aint hard if u have seen many other setups on a v6. remove the battery and buy a battery relocation kit and put it in the trunk, remove the airbox bc tryn to have that witha turbo set up for maximum hp is just stoopid leaving it there. make a crossover pipe for the exhaust, a gm 3.1 turbo managed with it, so i think anyone else can too. u will have to do the common sense things and put a heatsheild on the piping and use a better insulator around all the wiring. im not gonna go into the rest of the things u cna do for a turbo setup, dont want to give away my ideas. and im lazy, dont wanna type lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by americasfuture@Feb 21 2004, 02:22 PM
what are all the difficulties of turboing a car? if u know what u are doing then its not nitemare. using and typ of forced induction will cause the fuel requirement problems. all u are doing in a turbo set up is rerouting exhaust to the turbo, aint hard if u have seen many other setups on a v6. remove the battery and buy a battery relocation kit and put it in the trunk, remove the airbox bc tryn to have that witha turbo set up for maximum hp is just stoopid leaving it there. make a crossover pipe for the exhaust, a gm 3.1 turbo managed with it, so i think anyone else can too. u will have to do the common sense things and put a heatsheild on the piping and use a better insulator around all the wiring. im not gonna go into the rest of the things u cna do for a turbo setup, dont want to give away my ideas. and im lazy, dont wanna type lol
I can see not wanting to type it out, but give away ideas? Turbocharging a car is not a secret lol.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
First and foremost you need to find room somewhere to mount that turbo. Show me a piture of somewhere with enough space in and around the exhaust system to mount a turbo... Then we can talk about how easy it is.

Let's face it, when you get to the simplicity of it, you're just welding a turbo inline with your exhaust, runing air intake pipes to and from the turbo, hooking up some oil lines, add blow off valve and tune the car.

Yeah, it's simple enough in theory, but you need to have the room to install this stuff. It's kinda tight under the hood, expecially in a duratec.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Im thinkin one of the most difficult parts of a turbo install would be measuring and fabricating turbo manifolds and a crossover pipe for the turbo to mount to. This also includes moving the battery to the trunk or other place, and re-routing other things that might get in the way of the turbo.

However, once you do get the turbo bolted up, its not cup of tea to make the car run great with the turbo. You need to get timing and fuel set right for the extra boosted air going into your engine, routing and installing intercooler and pipes if you so choose, running a downpipe off of the turbo, running oil (and possibly coolant) lines to the turbo, getting your computer to act normally and not freak out. And all of this, without blowig apart your engine.

I have personally thought about doing a turbo setup for my vulcan. It wont be cheap by any means, but it is possible. I am more partial to turbo setups because of their boost flexibility and possible upgrades down the road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you remove the A/C compressor and all of its crap...you might be able to fit a turbo in its place...but thats if your A/C doesnt work....just a thought

PS im using a Gen I vulcan as an example.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if you remove the A/C compressor and all of its crap...you might be able to fit a turbo in its place...but thats if your A/C doesnt work....just a thought[/b]
If you remove the AC compressor why not just put a centrifical supercharger in it's place?

·
Registered
369 Posts
A/C? We don't need no stinkin' A/C. Put a supercharger in its place. I'd rather go faster than stay cool.

·
Registered
183 Posts
has anyone actually done this, or know where to buy the Supercharger? and also if u remove the A/C do you still have a heater?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
No, I don't think anyone has done that. The only two SC'ed non-SHO Taurus around here are two Gen 2's with 3.8's and adapted Thunderbird SuperCoupe superchargers. Alot of theory has been spewed all over this forum about using roots or centrifigul chargers on the the bulls, but nobody has actually done it yet.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
there was this *slight* glimmer of hope when the Ranger got an aftermarket SC kit (whipple type, low PSI, and I think only one guy has been able to get it running properly) since its 3.0 is also a vulcan.

I think Bob had/has something in the works with a vulcan motor...so give it time, or if you're impatient, dont complain, get the parts and do it yourself

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think the problem is the availability of a supercharger kit. I think it's the lack of funds with us taurus owners =p Give me the parts and I'll turbo my taurus and give it to you for free.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if anyone is REALY REALLY thinking about turboing i might wink wink have 2 ko4's ready to sell if someone needs to get the parts. they got about 57k on them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
id be intereseted in a SC for my 3.0 vulcan. my neon was quicker than this thing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts