Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I had a few questions about a turbo I'm looking at putting on my car. I was wondering if there is any major thing I would need to change to be able to hook up a turbo on to my car? Also is the stock head bolts would handle this kind of pressure. This turbo is a 15mm off of a Subaru or Mitsubishi. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
You would have to change the compression ratio down to around 8.5 to 1. change to a lower temp thermostat. use a premium head gasket. use new head bolts and run premium gas.
I have seen people that didnt lower compression ratio when adding turbo and they wondered why the head gaskets kept blowing. I have also seen a spark plug blow out of the head. they ran around 12 boost with it... if you run around 4 to 5 you might not have to change it

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Yeah you will need a tuner (none that I know of for your year), larger fuel injectors, larger MAF, larger fuel pump and probably a better fuel pressure regulator.

Also have you obtained the compressor map to see if it is a good fit for the engine?

If you start with 4-5psi the heads should be okay.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I agree with everything Loudsho92 said. To the OP, how much do you know about turbocharging? You cant just hang a turbo on an engine and expect it to work. If I remember correctly, 90 is still speed density. SD systems do not respond to changes in air flow well at all. Since no tuning hardware is available for your PCM (EEC tuner, QH, etc wont work since no one has bothered to crack the code), you will have to go with an aftermarket system, like MS, SDS, etc, and learn how to tune it. Tuning will require lots of dyno time. All parts will need to be custom made. You can DIY this if you have access to a fully equipped machine shop and know how to fab custom parts, and if you are a decent welder. This project would take months to finish, and likely cost 10x what the car is worth. With all that newfound power, the tranny will blow in short order. I am not just blowing smoke here.... I have owned (and currently own) turbo cars for the last 20 years, and modded them.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so you guys are recommending me NOT put a turbo on my car. Why would I need to mess with my injectors, fuel pump and pressure regulator. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
ok so you guys are recommending me NOT put a turbo on my car. Why would I need to mess with my injectors, fuel pump and pressure regulator. Thanks
They are giving you very good advice.
1. Your current injectors and fuel pump can not provide enough fuel to mix with the extra oxygen you are adding with the turbo.

2. I've looked in to doing this on a very serious level with my car and the costs to do it right aren't worth it. Done wrong, and we've seen it done wrong more than once, even when money was spent ($5-6k), and the motor will blow the "old" head gaskets even at 4-5lbs.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I would recommend not doing it till you have done some reading. I would suggest reading:
Maximum Boost by Corky Bell
Street Turbocharging by Mark Warner

Your stock fuel system only flows enough for the motor. Forcing any more air in there requires more fuel and the injectors can't go much beyond the current stock air flow. You will go super lean right away.

Also the stock tranmission is one of the weakest of all years. Unless you can handle working with Mega Squirt I would highly suggest selling the Taurus and getting a SHO for $500. You will have a lot more horse power and a good platform to build from.

·
Registered
61 Posts
chances are no matter what its not worth it. we all wish we could have one but unless you got a million to spend it aint worth it and even if you had the money... get a better car.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
We arent saying dont do it, we are telling you about the cost and pitfalls of doing it. If you want to do it, read up on turbocharging theory. I dont mean read one web site, I mean spend 40++ hours reading and learning. Talk to people who have turboed engines and owners of turbocharged cars. It sounds to me like with you current level of knowledge concerning turbocharging, you are setting yourself up for a very expensive disaster.

If you want a turbocharged car, buy one that came that way from the factory, and start modding that in small steps as you get hands on experience. . It will cost less in the long run.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha ha yeah I know I have a basic car I just had the chance to get a turbo. Sounds like I will just keep the car the way it is. I wanted to buy a sho but the ones around here r really expensive and have high milage. Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to blow anything up.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
you could always do the 4.6l swap. if you do all the work yourself you are looking at less then a grand if you find a good engine and trans with harness. if you have to rebuild then around 3 to 4 thousand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts