Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to put a turbo or twin turbo on a 2013 3.5L V6? Really want to add some mods to the car and don't really have the money to upgrade to the SHO so i was really curious if this was possible and if not, what are some brands and products that you guys would recommend that I look into for upgrading my Taurus.

Edit for clarity: I am looking to increase the performance and HP of my Taurus through adding mods and would like some feedback as to what mods you guys would recommend and also if it would even be possible to turbo my current Taurus.

Thanks in advance!
Austin

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I know you said you don't have the money for a SHO but a turbo project will set you back a few thousand when all is said and done. By that time you could probably sell your Taurus and a get a used SHO. I would recommend checking in to it still.

If you really want to turbo read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and Street Turbocharging by Mark Warner. They will teach what you need and what you are getting into.

You will need a tuner, turbo, fuel upgrades, larger MAF, etc...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is it possible to put a turbo or twin turbo on a 2013 3.5L V6? Really want to add some mods to the car and don't really have the money to upgrade to the SHO so i was really curious if this was possible and if not, what are some brands and products that you guys would recommend that I look into for upgrading my Taurus.

Edit for clarity: I am looking to increase the performance and HP of my Taurus through adding mods and would like some feedback as to what mods you guys would recommend and also if it would even be possible to turbo my current Taurus.

Thanks in advance!
Austin

Yes. Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum - View Profile: AdmiralSparklez

Admiral Sparklez has done just that and added a turbo to his ride.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Austin

You don't want to put too much power through your motor as it will no doubt detonate at some point, bear that in mind. You will need to upgrade certain things

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input! I greatly appreciate it. I am taking everything said into consideration

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you attempted this? I'm thinking of trying this on my 3.7l PI using the EcoBoost conversion kit from supersixmotorsports.com

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2015 SE 3.5L Ti-VCT (normally aspirated) that I have tuned. I've also done some mechanical mods to it, but everything I'm about to say applies to the time before any mechanical mods were done. These motors and transmissions (6F50), stock, can take a considerable amount of extra power with no problem (trust me, I drive my bull hard, pretty much all the time :) ). But it's not just about engine power. Transmission tuning (strategies/pressures/schedules for shifting and torque converter lock/unlock) can make a tremendous difference in how fast your car moves. Then there is the torque management system, which, among many other things, controls how much torque the engine should put out (called "driver demand engine"), and how much torque should be modulated during shifts (called "trans torque reduction"). These engines are capable of safely putting out considerably more power than they do from the factory; they're just greatly watered down in the factory programming. You can add an impressive amount of torque by simply raising driver demand engine, and it's not even necessary to add any timing advance, and the engine won't knock. The stock knock sensors and knock programming in these cars are very good. In addition to those things, though, I did add more spark advance, for various grades of fuel, making even more of a performance difference. I also tremendously improved throttle response through reprogramming. These are just a few of the things I've reprogrammed, but the bottom line is this. Even before I did any mechanical mods my NA SE would pull harder than an SHO. One area in which you'll never compete with an SHO is getting off the line, because SHOs have AWD. The Taurus weighs as much as a battleship, and trying to pull all that weight with front wheel drive off the line can only ever be so good. That aside, from 30 MPH+ I would easily walk stock SHOs all day long. I have since done mechanical mods to be able to mechanically tolerate more aggressive tuning, but you can safely accomplish a surprising performance increase by mere tuning.

Here's what I use for tuning:

SCVT X4 Programmer/DFata Logger - Don't buy from SCT's web site, though. Find a local SCT dealer. The prices are always cheaper for some reason. I paid $350 for mine.

SCT Advantage III - You have to complete a quick online training course for emissions compliance before you can use Advantage, but the training is super easy.

SCT LiveLink - It's not advertised on SCT's web site, but it comes with Advantage. This is extremely useful and powerful for real-time data logging and log analysis.

Note that SCT doesn't officially support your car. They do, however, support other cars that have the exact same engine as mine (V6 Mustangs). In order to know which version of the X4 tuner to get, you need to know your ECU strategy code. This is another good reason to buy the tuner device from a dealer, because they can check your strategy code and make sure you get the right device.

If you decide you want to save yourself a lot of time and few thousand dollars by foregoing turbo(s), and would rather try tuning instead, I'd be happy to help you along.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts