Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i own a 97 mercury sable ,,,,,,,,,,last time i tuned up my sable was in 2002 coil pack 2003 spark plugs and wires,, the car had 99,800 miles on it firestone put napa wires ,, bosch plantium plugs picture down below,,,i checked for air leaks in motor could not find non, changed the MAF sencor,, replaced the IAC, the miss gets worse after the motor warms up ,, on the planumm gasket had a little greese and motor oil,, the spark plugs had no motor oil on them,, the motorcraft coil pack no cracks just a rust on the bottom,, 2021 the car only has 131,000 miles on it,, no check engine light on ,, no stored codes,, what cant understand my car starts right up ,, has no hesitation in motor can cruise on the hiway fine , not over heating , has plenty of power, i replaced pcv valve and u shapped hose , gas filter air filter, i checked all spark plugs has soft black on the tips ,, i read it means Carbon Fouled Spark Plug ,, dont know that meens, it also says low commpresion in motor ,, my car has plenty of power in the motor takes off like a rocket and iam running the clear gas in tank

Attachments

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I would replace the plugs with OE. Inspect the plugs you remove to see that none look like the pic. If so the wires must be replaced. Ohm the wires and inspect for resistance OK and the boots for no tracking. I have had two of what is in the pic, and another Lin Cont with a loose factory plug. No codes.
Then bought '05 DOHC with a temperature sensitive coil. "pending code" for #3 misfire. JY coil fixed it.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would replace the plugs with OE. Inspect the plugs you remove to see that none look like the pic. If so the wires must be replaced. Ohm the wires and inspect for resistance OK and the boots for no tracking. I have had two of what is in the pic, and another Lin Cont with a loose factory plug. No codes.
Then bought '05 DOHC with a temperature sensitive coil. "pending code" for #3 misfire. JY coil fixed it.
-chart-
theres no codes defently a miss at idle ,, just changed motorcraft coil pack ,, spark plugs and wires today, the car runs the same as before ,, all the bosch spark plugs have soft black tips,,,, Sooted — Carbon-fouled i do drive short distances ,, what i can figard out i have new plugs,,,

A faulty oxygen sensor sending the wrong signal to the engine control module can result in a rich fuel condition. Symptoms of a rich fuel condition include black colored exhaust, fouled spark plugs, and poor engine performance.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Pic of plugs from '05 DOHC, unknown age as used car just bought and driven a bit. Not new, looks like I would expect. Need to know the long term fuel trims.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,560 Posts
Get rid of those Bosch plugs. BTDT. For some reasons I dont understand, Bosch plugs do not work well in many Ford engines. Tried Bosch plugs in a few of my Fords over the years, and they ran like crap. Poor idle, missing, poor fuel economy, etc. Put in NGK and the cars ran great. As Chartmaker said, use the OEM Motorcraft plugs or use their NGK equivalent. Also use Motorcraft plug wires. I put NGK Iridium in my 05 SEL Premium Duratec several years ago. Idles so smooth the only way to tell the engine is running is by looking at the tach.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
One possible reason for running rich is it may not be going into "closed loop". Need to be sure the PCM reads the coolant and inlet temp right. If either temp is misreading and the PCM sees it as really cold, it would add fuel as it reads it as being really cold.
Based on price and labor, no possible reason for using any after market plugs. Any brand and inspect carefully, as in the pic. And in another, Autolite had too small top electrode and plug wires do not clip on right. If MC ever sells such crap, I will change my mind about MC brand. And post it here. Plugs are important and labor intensive to install.
If any after market was better, car makers would jump on it in a heart beat. MPG is CRITICAL to them. So is warranty. So is unhappy customers.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get rid of those Bosch plugs. BTDT. For some reasons I dont understand, Bosch plugs do not work well in many Ford engines. Tried Bosch plugs in a few of my Fords over the years, and they ran like crap. Poor idle, missing, poor fuel economy, etc. Put in NGK and the cars ran great. As Chartmaker said, use the OEM Motorcraft plugs or use their NGK equivalent. Also use Motorcraft plug wires. I put NGK Iridium in my 05 SEL Premium Duratec several years ago. Idles so smooth the only way to tell the engine is running is by looking at the tach.
i did get rid of the bosch plugs ,, they were put in my motor back in 2003,,, i put new motorcraft spark plugs ,, wires and coil,, was going to put the NGK,S but my friend gave me a new set of motorcraft spark plugs for my car, i wished my car would run better after tune up ,, i runs a little better but theres a miss in the motor worse after the cars warmed up ,, theres a miss the car is cold but the higher idle you dont feel it that bad ,,, i did put a new MAF sencor and a IAC vlave,, my old spark plugs looked like there carbon fowled ,,,, to me it still idle seems a little low when i am at a stop light ,,next iam going to have to take to a ford dealer ,, or a shop that has a dignose before i stick more money into the car,, the bosch spark plug picture below,, the bosch spark plugs were in my since 2003 ,, around only 99,800 when firestone changed the plugs my car only has 131,400 miles now in 2021

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
One possible reason for running rich is it may not be going into "closed loop". Need to be sure the PCM reads the coolant and inlet temp right. If either temp is misreading and the PCM sees it as really cold, it would add fuel as it reads it as being really cold.
Based on price and labor, no possible reason for using any after market plugs. Any brand and inspect carefully, as in the pic. And in another, Autolite had too small top electrode and plug wires do not clip on right. If MC ever sells such crap, I will change my mind about MC brand. And post it here. Plugs are important and labor intensive to install.
If any after market was better, car makers would jump on it in a heart beat. MPG is CRITICAL to them. So is warranty. So is unhappy customers.
-chart-
i did put new motorcraft spark plugs ,, coil and wires yesterday , what does a closed loop mean how to test this ,, would it make car have a miss in the motor,,,,,,,,,, my car does have a miss when cold but cant feel it cause the cars idling higher,, after the car is warmed up i can feel the miss at idle ,, i noticed sometimes driving my car when car is compltetly warmed up at a stop light i can see the temp gauge go up a little from where it was sitting at before stays there then i turn on my heater then the temp gauge drops a little where it was before,, but i never hear the engine fan come on,, the old bosch sparkplugs look carbon fowled ,, the set of bosch plugs were in my motor since 2003 ,, after tuning up my car its a little better but at a stop light i still can fill a miss in motor

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slow idle likely PCV valve and flow channel. Only OE brand of PCV>
-chart-
i put a new motorcraft PCV valve and a new motorcraft U shaped hose,, i noticed the hose before the PCV valve had eather dried oil or greese on the hose,,, which i cleaned it off

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slow idle likely PCV valve and flow channel. Only OE brand of PCV>
-chart-
is it normal to have
-chart-
in a closed loop so would it make the check engine light come on in the dash,, my car theres no lights on , it cost me 200 dollars labor for putting my mc spark plugs ,, coil pack and wires which i bought at advance auto ,, since the shop had the intake off they put my new mc throttle body sencor,, i found where it the coolant temp sencor is i will have to do more testing

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I like my "Carchip" recorder, that lets me see things like the temperature of coolant and whatever I want to see off the shopping list. I can record fuel trims, Ox sensor outputs, volt, and so on.
And it records trip by trip time, speed, acceleration/brake use over set parameters. Also lets me see how others are driving my cars. Five drivers in my 4 cars. And if car is wrecked with the device plugged in, it will save the crash forces in mili seconds.
As to CEL's: One needs reader that will show "pending" codes. I just went through '05 DOHC with a misfire, and no CEL. Bad misfire. Finally got a "pending" and it was #3. New coil (JY) and all is good. However see O2 sensor chart, this set a code for sure.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I like my "Carchip" recorder, that lets me see things like the temperature of coolant and whatever I want to see off the shopping list. I can record fuel trims, Ox sensor outputs, volt, and so on.
And it records trip by trip time, speed, acceleration/brake use over set parameters. Also lets me see how others are driving my cars. Five drivers in my 4 cars. And if car is wrecked with the device plugged in, it will save the crash forces in mili seconds.
As to CEL's: One needs reader that will show "pending" codes. I just went through '05 DOHC with a misfire, and no CEL. Bad misfire. Finally got a "pending" and it was #3. New coil (JY) and all is good. However see O2 sensor chart, this set a code for sure.
-chart-
i saw one on ebay OBDLink 427201 LX Bluetooth Scanner FOR PC ANDROID FREE SOFTWARE & OBDLINK APP | eBay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i can use my android cell phone,, is this a good one to buy ,, i have ebay bucks ,, i never used this and i want one,, my friend gave me the red OB2 reader pic below i might try this one

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my 2007 Ford Taurus (Vulcan engine), I kept getting misfires when holding the throttle at a lower setting and going about 40-45 up a hill. If you push down on the accelerator, it would pick up just fine, it only seemed to miss at a lower range of throttle.

I changed out the coil pack and it went away for awhile. It returned about 6 months later. I finally found the solution to my misfires that I have been dealing with off and on for a year or so trying various things.

The problem was when my dad picked up some spark plugs for my vehicle the store mistakenly looked up and sold him "Champion 7963 Iridium" spark plugs, however these plugs are gaped at the
3.0L DOHC .052-.056 range which will cause a misfire at certain engine load and throttle position on the Vulcan.

After taking them out and noticing the gaps were almost .01x too big, I did some research and found out these were not the right gap or plug for the Vulcan engine, The Vulcan engine is gapped at 3.0L OHV .042- .046

I went and bought some Motocraft AGSF-32FM / Part# SP432 and VERY CAREFULLY checked the gaps on them. All of the plugs needed to be gaped slightly smaller. VERY CAREFULLY gap your plugs, they are easy damage because of the coating. Check a few youtube videos if you are not sure how to gap the coated ones,

After inserting the correct plugs and using the correct gaps my misfires are completely gone now. It's been a few months and my engine hasn't had any noticeable misfires anymore. Before the fix, it use to be almost every hill at speeds of around 40 if I didn't adjust the throttle to try and prevent it. Now it cruises up hills at any throttle position with out any issues.

hope this helps someone with their misfires.

CHECK YOUR PLUGS AND GAPS, TOO BIG OF A GAP CAN CAUSE MISFIRES...

·
Registered
24 Posts
i saw one on ebay OBDLink 427201 LX Bluetooth Scanner FOR PC ANDROID FREE SOFTWARE & OBDLINK APP | eBay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i can use my android cell phone,, is this a good one to buy ,, i have ebay bucks ,, i never used this and i want one,, my friend gave me the red OB2 reader pic below i might try this one
I own the OBDLink MX+ and it is a amazing tool to have. It's a little expensive, however it has easily saved me enough money to pay for itself and than some in less than a year. Just programing a spare key would of cost me about 70$, however I was able to do it myself.

I am a big fan of it. Linked with the free Forscan software, it gives you access to thousands of dollars worth of diagnostic tools and data. I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On my 2007 Ford Taurus (Vulcan engine), I kept getting misfires when holding the throttle at a lower setting and going about 40-45 up a hill. If you push down on the accelerator, it would pick up just fine, it only seemed to miss at a lower range of throttle.

I changed out the coil pack and it went away for awhile. It returned about 6 months later. I finally found the solution to my misfires that I have been dealing with off and on for a year or so trying various things.

The problem was when my dad picked up some spark plugs for my vehicle the store mistakenly looked up and sold him "Champion 7963 Iridium" spark plugs, however these plugs are gaped at the
3.0L DOHC .052-.056 range which will cause a misfire at certain engine load and throttle position on the Vulcan.

After taking them out and noticing the gaps were almost .01x too big, I did some research and found out these were not the right gap or plug for the Vulcan engine, The Vulcan engine is gapped at 3.0L OHV .042- .046

I went and bought some Motocraft AGSF-32FM / Part# SP432 and VERY CAREFULLY checked the gaps on them. All of the plugs needed to be gaped slightly smaller. VERY CAREFULLY gap your plugs, they are easy damage because of the coating. Check a few youtube videos if you are not sure how to gap the coated ones,

After inserting the correct plugs and using the correct gaps my misfires are completely gone now. It's been a few months and my engine hasn't had any noticeable misfires anymore. Before the fix, it use to be almost every hill at speeds of around 40 if I didn't adjust the throttle to try and prevent it. Now it cruises up hills at any throttle position with out any issues.

i just did a tune up 2 days a go new motorcraft spark plugs ,, wires and coil pack,, ,, i even put a new motorcraft throttle postion censor, i was hoping it would have taken care of the problem but it didnt,,, still runs same as before the tune up ,, its got a flat spot in the throttle body,, i was trying the throttle under the hood ,, at a certon spot in the throttle act like the motor is going to die, when driving the sometimes at slow speeds it acts like its like the motor is going to die, chatmaker told me try the ground by the pcm iam going to clean the ground hopefully it take care of the problem,,

·
Registered
13 Posts

Yes this should be done before install on ALL plugs nowadays except for those silly plat +4 plugs which are just marketing trash really. (There is no more QC so that's why they should not be trusted) Even iridium plugs need to be at least checked for proper gap now. Yes if you're a baller you can set these gaps without touching or damaging the electrodes with a proper spark plug gap tool and feeler guages. Autolite has a habit of mis-printing their plugs so platinum's can end up in copper 104 boxes with 104 printed on the plat plugs... Also to the OP, use old copper autolite 104's in that vulcan, even duratec's run best on those. Make sure your back wires aren't melting to exhaust pump lines and shorting. Also for some reason some folks are lazy or dumb and forget those rear plugs don't be like those guys.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Yes this should be done before install on ALL plugs nowadays except for those silly plat +4 plugs which are just marketing trash really. (There is no more QC so that's why they should not be trusted) Even iridium plugs need to be at least checked for proper gap now. Yes if you're a baller you can set these gaps without touching or damaging the electrodes with a proper spark plug gap tool and feeler guages. Autolite has a habit of mis-printing their plugs so platinum's can end up in copper 104 boxes with 104 printed on the plat plugs... Also to the OP, use old copper autolite 104's in that vulcan, even duratec's run best on those. Make sure your back wires aren't melting to exhaust pump lines and shorting. Also for some reason some folks are lazy or dumb and forget those rear plugs don't be like those guys.
See post #6, Autolite should not be used in anything. And see post #2.
Gap has a range in specs. Anywhere in the range should be fine. If your car is sensitive to a few thou in gap, Something else is wrong. My past '01 DOHC plugs changed at 111K, back bank up to +.010 over as the platinum was gone. Ran fine, just scheduled maintenance. Fronts still at spec. Rears are reverse polarity on Bulls for reasons not clear. If I had a Vulcan I would be tempted to switch all the wires at the coil. See what happens. Put the reverse polarity in front and change more often.
Chart-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts