Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Wires?

What is everyone here using for plugs and wires?
Factory wires last the life of the car.

Unless one wears from mis location, and unless one goes open (resistance) no reason to replace. If by some chance I needed to replace, I would ohm each wire before installing. Any open wire and it goes back. Somehow we assume new is perfect, and old is bad.:p

From the old coot. 71 and counting.

-chart-

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry factory wires don't last the life of the car. Expect about 7-8 years and they're simply just worn out.
Never use autolite wires unless you like to change them each tune up.

I prefer Motorcraft plugs (or Autolite if I have to) and for wires, I bought a set of Motorcraft wires, and honestly they're nothing to brag about.
I got a box of Prestolite wires off the shelf to just look and I swear on my first born son that they're the same damn wire ( minus the word motorcraft ).
We know Motorcraft doesn't make the wires. I'm pretty sure prestolite does for them.
My taurus runs great with 'em though!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Don't be so hasty in your generalizations! Wires CAN last the life of the car.

My Taurus is 14 years old and still has the factory original wires. No problems what so ever. Factory original plugs, too.
Plugs are a consumable item. The electrode wears away after use. Ive seen it happen where my brother didn't take care of his wife's car and all of a sudden the car wouldn't run right. The electrode had worn away completely in a plug causing it to run terrible. Replaced the plugs and it did fine.

While there may not be problems the car may not be running at its best. If you want the most out of your car it helps to periodically change them.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Common Sense

I've been taking care of my cars for over 40 years. My Taurus runs just as good as the day it was made. I get great gas mileage and performance. It doesn't leak or burn oil. Everything on that engine except for the serpentine belt and PCV valve is factory original and performs flawlessly.
I agree, and with more experience than most.

Battery should be replaced on a calendar of time. On my '02 Lin dealer replaced bat on Jan 03 due to frozen while down. His fault. I replaced it last month. Still cranked briskly, but that is well over 8 years. And I am taking it on a trip this Summer. Air cleaner just replaced and guess I got behind on that one. It was a bit sick. Belt is a year old, it only lasts about 2 years. Yes it is a Lin problem. While Taurus uses a 6" to 3" for crank to alt for a 2:1 speed up the Lin uses a 7" to 2 1/4" for a ~3:1 speedup. And then 7 pulleys with a massive A/C. Same belt, inch longer.

For me I am big on brakes. Flush fluid every 2 years, inspect every Spring. Been burned by a pad rusted in place on a previous Lin. Rusted in place means it drags and fails. Fool me once..:p

And new wiper blades, and Sylvania head lamp bulbs, the ones 30% brighter, and I can see the difference. Also polished the headlight lenses. Now, the original lamps still work after 95K but that is like the battery, the end is near, fix me now or pay later. I know of 2 cases where both head lamps failed within a couple of days. And I check the spare tire for pressure before a trip. I lose about 10# per year in all of mine.

But, it does not have plug wires. 95K and working fine.

Oh well have a nice day

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I run Bosch plugs plat/Ir quads and I have coil on plug... Replaced the coils and plugs at 125k. Flawless. Most other members do not agree with my plug choice, but I love it and wanted to mention it.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Wire Check

I've been taking care of my cars for over 40 years. My Taurus runs just as good as the day it was made. I get great gas mileage and performance. It doesn't leak or burn oil. Everything on that engine except for the serpentine belt and PCV valve is factory original and performs flawlessly.
One more:

I would check my wires with an AM radio, never raise the hood.:lol2:

I know that is old school, but so what?

I checked out my '03 and it sounded perfect.

Happy motoring

-chart-

·
Registered
248 Posts
Batteries can die unexpectedly. One day it checks out perfectly, the next day it dies. Happened to me twice on two different makes in the twenty years I have owned a car. With the Taurus it was the factory battery at a little over 3 years. Wouldn't hold a charge even after a jump. Mechanics suspected a bad alternator, but after all the testing they said the battery got an internal short.

With wires I think it helps if you live in a mild climate. Wires don't like extreme cold.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Battery

AM radio?? What's that????

I'll have to give that a try. I haven't had the radio on AM since Hitler was a corporal. Haven't listened to FM for over 6 years, when I first got Sirius satellite radio.

My battery is a Sears DieHard. It is currently 9 years old. I tested the cells recently, and they are all up to snuff.

The battery in my '03 Caravan is original. No problems there, either.
War story.

It was 1987, car 1890 Grand Marquis. Sunday, stayed with the inlaws, had to be back to work, and kids in school next day. 700 miles and 55 speed limit. 3 teenagers. Got up before daylight to start, bat dead, total no lights. Jumperd and started. Ran a few minutes, headlights ok. Shut off and dead, dead. Jumped and we (5 of us) 700 miles and never shut the car off. Hope to never have that again.

You can get an Am radio at a garage sale. Boom Box. :lol2:

Good for listening for plug wires.

-chart-

·
Registered
248 Posts
War story.

It was 1987, car 1890 Grand Marquis. Sunday, stayed with the inlaws, had to be back to work, and kids in school next day. 700 miles and 55 speed limit. 3 teenagers. Got up before daylight to start, bat dead, total no lights. Jumperd and started. Ran a few minutes, headlights ok. Shut off and dead, dead. Jumped and we (5 of us) 700 miles and never shut the car off. Hope to never have that again.

You can get an Am radio at a garage sale. Boom Box. :lol2:

Good for listening for plug wires.

-chart-
They made Grand Marquis in 1890? ;)

Can I just use the AM radio in my car?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Old Folks

They made Grand Marquis in 1890? ;)

Can I just use the AM radio in my car?
" in 1890"

Do not pick on old folks. Your trun will arrive in due time.

I wish you to make it and still be able to type.
If they still have typing then.

Have a nice day.:p

-chart-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts