Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna do a complete tuneup with plugs, wires, and an MSD coil pack. Not sure what brand and type of plug to get other than an upgraded plug to double platinum. The Ford part no doesn't even tell you if it is a copper, platinum etc on the fordparts.com site. Second I was going to get Bosch wires. Don't know why but they are cheaper than the Autozone Duralast brand. Lastly I was going to get an MSD coil pack for some extra punch.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Use Motorcraft wires, or Magnacore, Bosch wires are junk, as is most other stuff on the market.

On the plugs, the stock ones are already double platinum. For best results use Motorcraft, Autolite, or NGK. Everything is is prone to cause problems. Make sure that you check the gap before you install them, they should have the correct gap already, but you should always check them regardless.

On the coil, MSD coil packs are junk, as are Accel which is considerably worse than MSD. Performance coil packs help overcome spark blowout issues that occur from high RPM operation (think beyond your stock rev limiter), raised compression (more air at a higher density acts as a stronger insulator, you have to build up more voltage to overcome it), or boost. A performance coil will give you no performance gains on an otherwise stock setup, and the penalty you pay in reduced reliability versus the Motorcraft part isn't worth it.

You can get the Motorcraft brand parts from RockAuto Parts Catalog, other places carry them too. You can get Magnacore wires from Magnacore directly. They are costly, but they are much higher quality than even OEM wires, and they do offer some potential performance gains in that they allow more of the spark energy from the coils to actually reach the plugs, and they do not deteriorate over time. Think of it as they prevent power loss due to issues with the ignition system. They do not create power, they just allow you to get the best out of the ignition you have.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Most of the underhood parts will go a couple hundred thousand miles.
Keep in mind: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
(Put the extra $$ in your retirement acct, most of us have needed it)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Coils work and a certain rpm range best. No coil is best for all rpm ranges, however OEM coils are tuned to the intended rpm range for a particular engine.
Because the coil pack is a wasted spark, it fires twice as often as a coil on plug, or conventional distributor system. This requires good plug wires, and double platinum plugs for durability.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since I've been doing my own maintenance (487k) I've used autolite's recommended plug on everything (Fords and Mitsubishi's) and never had a spark/ignition problem besides the coil pack failing on my '00 contour at about 150k.
Wires -- most often used AL, but at least once bought a different brand (AC Delco) because of a rock auto rebate.

·
Registered
358 Posts
86 That MSD Coil, It will come back to 69 you :rolleyes2:

Amazon or Rockauto Has everything you could ever need.
Motorcraft or Denso Coil
Motorcraft or NGK wires
NGK G-Power or up plugs, or Motorcrafts Platinum's.
Use Rockauto to get all the part #'s and price shop against Amazon.
There's a 5% coupon code off For Rockauto floating around, Retailmenot should have it.:D

Do you have the 3.0 Vulcan or 3.0 Duratec?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts