Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I know I had another thread on a tune, and what I MUST say is it is 100% WORTH IT.

I personally bought my SCT X3 3015 tuner through 5 star tuning (email [email protected]), but you can get them MANY places, with or without a custom tune. Livernois seems to be a popular place as well.

Using the 93 octane performance tune I get a slight power boost, not sure how much, but there sure is some. This is achieved by advancing the timing.

However the real reason I paid $402 for this is because of the drivability increases. This car feels brand new. After emailing Mike back and forth to work the kinks out of the tune and get the exact tune I wanted, it really ended up with a great final result.

Throttle response is now incredible. It gives me what I want, when I want it. Instead of having to wait. It downshifts earlier, which it should. It makes the throttle go WOT without downshifting earlier, which it should! Fuel economy is increased by about 15-20% in the city. Highway milage seems unchanged. Shift points are higher.

The car is brand new and just amazing to drive again. It's more fun to drive, and it's like there was some untapped power there that is now available for me to use.

I loved this car before, fell in love with it all over again now.

Just my take!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Livernois does good work with the Ecoboost SHO and F-150. Haven't really came across anyone that had a tune for their 08-09 from them before.

Mike @ 5 Star Tuning took care my tune needs. I only got a 87 octane performance tune as I wasn't trying to get more power, just wanted to get rid of the damn DBW throttle lag. Picked up about 2 mpg increase and overall the car is just nicer to drive around.

If you are on the fence about it, hop off that fence and get a tune! The cost of the tuner with the tunes is well worth the smiles you get when driving the car.

My stable is full of Ford vehicles because 1) I like their vehicles and 2) every vehicle can be tuned.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Mike was great. He gave me multiple tunes when I needed something adjusted.

Girlfriend drove my car and asked me if her car can get tuned. Unfortunately it can't... She drives a 2012 KIA Soul that has horrible drive by wire lag! Too bad!

I love the increased power and fuel economy along with the drive by wire lag gone and better shifting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah, Mike was great. He gave me multiple tunes when I needed something adjusted.

Girlfriend drove my car and asked me if her car can get tuned. Unfortunately it can't... She drives a 2012 KIA Soul that has horrible drive by wire lag! Too bad!

I love the increased power and fuel economy along with the drive by wire lag gone and better shifting.
I only bought one tune from Mike as I already had the SCT flash tuner. Answered all of my emails even late into the evening and while on the road for an event. There was a issue with my Strategy code (on SCT's), Mike relayed that to me as he would not give me a tune until it was straightened which was only about a week.

Power feels even better when you can fill up with 100% pure non-ethanol gasoline and not a E10/15 Ethanol and gasoline mixture.

A tune is right up there on the list with a good quality set of performance tires as being one of the best mods you can buy for your car without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A tune is what is on my wish list :) which one did you get Breeves02? i cant find one that list a 08 3.5 non ecoboost
You can email the tuner [email protected] and let him know you are interested in getting a flash tuner and tune for your car. Mike will let you know what you need to do. You can also call Mike at the shop (843)536-1244.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woah you can put 100% Ethanol in our cars with no problems?!?!

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean I wouldn't dare run over E15....

Now the new taurus with the Ti-VCT motor can run E85, so you could run that and advance spark more that way. Seriously though, thats crazy to run E100.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,036 Posts
Not to mention, since Ethanol is less efficient...kinda pointless and a waste of cash.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you are right and wrong.

On a non-turbo car, anything over about E30 is a complete waste (guessing on the #'s). Will lower power. Up to E30 will actually help if you modify the tune. Ethanol burns cooler than gasoline, so cooler combustion = higher allowable spark advance = more power.

On a turbo motor, E85 or even E100 will be beneficial because you can boost even higher without engine knock. On E85, people are boosting the 3.5 EcoBoost all the way to 22PSI or higher!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah sorry I forgot to put "NON"-ethanol, I edited my original post.

100% pure gasoline is better on NA vehicles and E85/E100 works best on FI cars that have been tuned for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where I live, 91 octane is about 10 cents more per litre then 87 octane and I'm wondering
If the price difference is worth the extra mpg gain using a higher octane tune

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Where I live, 91 octane is about 10 cents more per litre then 87 octane and I'm wondering
If the price difference is worth the extra mpg gain using a higher octane tune
With that small of a price difference, it's likely that the 87 octane is ethanol-free and the 91 octane has ethanol. In that case stick with the 87 octane if you want the best milage.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Almost all gas stations here quit carrying anything but 87 octane. One gas station that previously had three different octane levels now carries only 87 octane in pure gasoline, E-5, and E-10. Just about any gas station that DOES still have high octane fuel has 10% ethanol. I think there's two gas stations in the next town with high octane 100% gasoline, but it's quite a bit out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What the heck?!

All of the stations around here carry 87, 89, and 91/92/93 (one of them). Usually all are 10% ethanol.

I fill up at Shell stations and get Shell V Power 93 octane only.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, with the increased shift points I have about a 6.5 second 0-60.

Can you post a pic of your CAI and a link from where you got it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sure, I'm getting ready for work atm but its the K&N CAI for 2010+ taurus. It still works tho. I'm going to modify it myself sincrits too open and is most likely sucking in some hot air.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts