Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a guy who previously worked at a Ford dealership that Ford issued a service bulletin for the amount of engine oil required in 3.0 engines. He said that the alert said to fill the engine with 4.5 quarts instead of 5 due to an idle engine shaking problem caused by the throws of the crankshaft slapping the pooled oil in the oil pan. Has anyone heard of this or a TSB number that was issued?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Dunno. Ive always put 5 qts. in a vulcan and 6 qts. in a tec with a filter change without problems? Puts them right up to the top of the crosshatch area.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I worked for Ford dealers for a few years, I don't remember this being a TSB. But yeah, the owner's maual says 4.5 so that's what I go with.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I was told by a guy who previously worked at a Ford dealership that Ford issued a service bulletin for the amount of engine oil required in 3.0 engines. He said that the alert said to fill the engine with 4.5 quarts instead of 5 due to an idle engine shaking problem caused by the throws of the crankshaft slapping the pooled oil in the oil pan. Has anyone heard of this or a TSB number that was issued?

The TSB that the "mechanic" was probably thinking about is the one that changes the previously used 5w-30 to a cheaper and CAFE friendly 5w-20. (which I think is a croc of **** in higher temps. But maybe it's just me.)

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
The manual for my 95 Vulcan says 4.5 qt. When I put in 4.5 qt after an oil / filter change, the dipstick shows oil right at the top of the full line.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
^+1. I agree. The book calls for 4.5 in a vulcan and 5.5 in a tec. But on each it seemed to put the level in the middle of the crosshatch (safe) area which is fine, but instead of having 1/2 qts. laying around, i add it and has put the level at the top of the crosshatch.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I always put in 5q, puts it right to the 'full' mark on the dipstick and never had a problem with idle shaking. That's not to say it couldn't happen and I don't know if the vulcan has a windage tray or not that would help. On the other hand, my old Briggs lawn mower engine is oiled by the rod spashing the oil in the crankcase so if that is happening in the vulcan consider it added protection :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts