Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to track down a tranny leak in my 99 Taurus. If its just a pan seal are they easy to replace after removing the pan? And if so whats the best thing to put on there, i have heard people recommend different gaskets?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I'm using Felpro solid felprene reuseable tranny pan gaskets, on both my 94 Taurus & 99 Rangers tranny pan for the past 10 years, so far with good results.

They come packed such that they'll lay flat on the pan right out of the box & have their holes punched undersized, so we can screw the pan fastners into it so it'll hold them & they in turn keep the gasket in place on the pan, giving us both hands free to position the pan & get a couple of bolts started to hold it up. Makes this operation a real breeze!!!!!

I like the solid FelPro gasket better than Fords reuseable cork/rubber coated gasket that the 99 Ranger tranny pan came with & it's Way better than the all cork gasket the 94 Taurus tranny pan came with.

If your pan is just weeping some, first try evenly re-torquing the pan fastners to spec with a torque wrench & see how that goes.

Harbor Freight has the 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 inch reversable drive, breakover type torque wrenches on sale in my area for $12 with a flyer coupon, so now I have all 3 sizes as I've been waiting for the 3/8 size to go on sale for a looooong time, which they rarely do in my area, at least at that price!!!!! The 1/4 drive is ideal for torquing the tranny pan fastners & is a danged good deal at $12!!!!

I've had the 1/4 drive to service the tranny pans for about 10 years now & paid $19 for it then. It's still in spec for torque. Just remember to back off/unscrew the set torque tension adjustment on the breakover spring when storing a break over type torque wrench, so the spring doesn't take a set & mess with the break over/click calibration & they'll likely work real good & last a long time!!!!!

If you have to drop the pan to replace the gasket, consider doing a tranny filter replacement & full tranny fluid pumpout as described in the procedure atop this forum, as you'd be half way there with the pan drop to replace the gasket!!!!

A bunch of thoughts for pondering, let us know how it goes.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Where is it dripping off the car? Knowing that would help us suggest where you should look.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to leak fast after driving hard and slow if I baby it in this summer weather. I haven't pin pointepointed it yet but last time I was under the car while it was leaking it was running off of the oil pan about mid way under the hood a little more on the driver side biased. It

it was after driving about 200 miles on the interstate I got off an exit to get food and saw smoke, got under the car and it was getting on the cats smoking.

When I drive short trips its around town its just small puddles it leaves

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Check the fittings that carry trans fluid to the cooler on the front end. Many owners have had leaks there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just warmed it up for half an hour and drove it briefly and nothing leaked. Getting to be hard to find with being so intermittent

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Sounds even more like a tube fitting going bad...
Edit: or the dipstick tube O-ring....

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't leak any today either. Is there any common leak that would show up after being driven hard but not there at all when driven easy?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Didn't leak any today either. Is there any common leak that would show up after being driven hard but not there at all when driven easy?
Could be the TC stator bearing I had fail on mine. It would puke fluid when hot, but not a drop when cool. It would come from the cover on the bottom of the bellhousing if this were the case.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Well if it's overfilled, or overheating, it can foam or expand & throw up out the vent, or as has been suggested, a line seal, or dipstick pipe seal going out.

Can you get it up on a lift & get under it & have a good look????

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have access to a life, having a hard time finding it now since i am trying to keep it from leaking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts