Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long post warning.

A few things have happened recently that I think are finnaly making my parents realize that they need a new car. First, my sister-in-law's Explorer is having problems. It has about 170K on it (not very well maintained, either) and its trans has lost third and fourth gears. So, she's been using my parent's 1997 Sable. My parents have been down to one vehicle, my dad's 1999 F-250 Super Duty Diesel. Its not exactly an economical grochery getter. What's worse, my mom slipped off the tubular running boards when they were wet and fell the other day, she got pretty bruised up from that. Its hard for her to get into and out of the truck.

I have been trying to get them to go to a dealer and check out a Taurus, either a program 2008 or a new 2009. My mom knows she needs to but she's very hesitant.

Today, I got in the Hombre and was going to get a carton of smokes when I decided, on a whim, to stop by the Ford dealer. I convinced them that it was in their best interest to let me take a Taurus home to my parents to let them check it out.

They tossed me the keys to a 2008 Taurus SEL with 31,XXX miles on it. It has leather, but few other options (of course, the SEL has climate control, 6-disk CD, etc).

The car was grey with a black and "stone" interior. It has a very small ding on the hood above the head lamp and the rearview mirror seems to shake a lot when driving at speed, but other than that, the car performed flawlessly. I had to put $8 in to the gas tank, lol, it was dead empty. I figured that if they were going to let me run off in a nearly new car on nothing more than a wink and a smile, I could at least put some fuel in it, lol.

I got my mom into the car. I showed her how to adjust the seat, mirrors, climate control, steering wheel, etc. I showed her how the floor shifter works (both the F-250 and Sable have collumn shift, she hasnt driven a floor shift since her 1990 Aerostar they traded in back in 1996).

She drove it up the road, poking along at 40 MPH. She said she was very impressed with the amount of room and the smooth ride. When we turned around, we were facing a long straight-a-way, so I told her to accelerate as if she were getting on the freeway.

She finnaly backed off when the needle was pushing past 80, and that impressed her more than I ever thought it could (she's not easily excited by a car's power output, lol). She couldnt believe the amount of power that was at her beck-and-call. "I didnt even floor it!" When I reminded her that its rated for 28 MPG on the highway while being larger and MUCH more powerful than her Sable, she was amazed.

When we got back, she asked to see the trunk. I told her it was the largest in North America and pressed the release button to show her. "WOW that is a lot of room!"

The dealer wants $15K for it. She asked me to ask them if they'd take $12K. Of course, they wont, but just the fact that she's willing to considor the possibility is remarkable. I could say a lot of things about my mom, and I wont go into the gory details, but lets just say that a polite way of putting it is that she's a bit stubborn. :rolleyes2:

I told her that there was also a new 2009 on the lot with cloth seats, but everything else that the used one had. She said she figured the warranty was about to run out on the '08, and I explained that it has a 5 year/60K powertrain warranty and roadside assistance, and she could always factor in a Ford ESP if she felt it was needed (they bought a $2500 extended warranty for the Sable, it paid for a $20 speed sensor and that was it, lol, its been a great car). That eased her mind a little. She said that she'd have to take a look at the '09 to see if she liked it enough to justify the price difference (she'd qualify for 0% as she has excellent credit).

I reminded her that she paid about $13-$14K for her car back in 1997 (it was also a program car). This Taurus is 11 years newer, has a lot more equipment, power, room, safety, and is damn near the same price. That's hard to beat.

We'll see how it goes, if she ends up buying one, you guys know I'll come back and give you the details and pics. Personally, I loved the car, but if it were my dollar and not hers, I think I'd wait to see how I liked the 2010 before I bought this one. However, for her and my dad, being retired and all, I think the '08-'09 is perfect for them. If they want to travel, it'll ride smoothly and get good mileage, along with more room than they could possibly need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope your mom takes the car! I convinced mine to get a 2002 Taurus back in 04 (Dad used a 01 F250) and they fell in love with "newer" and the smoothness ride. My dad was surprised it had enough pep to it and my mom enjoys the roomy four doors as well as the comfort overall. It's only going to be easier for them better MPG and she's safer!

PS I'm glad your parents are like mine . over 15+ yrs of Ford lovin' and passed it on lol

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
i'll have to agree with rudy, it's not your mom's problem to make sure your sil has a decent ride.

if i took my mom's ride and told her to look for another car for herself she would
tell me oh hell no your a grown man figure it out on your own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ May 17 2009, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725793
So, your s.i.l.'s xploder is ****, borrows your mom's Sable, and your MOM needs a new car?? RIGHT....

Sounds like it's a great way to put your MOM into debt, instead of trying to get the s.i.l. into a less ****** ride.[/b]

These guys sound like they have something up their asses . I respect the fact that they "know" about cars but you can honestly tell these people are not family oriented . Not to sound mean or anything but TC came over for CAR advice, not family counseling! It's a car site ! On the other hand looking at the post count on these people it actually makes sense that they would know donkey $hit on family, but rather spend their time on this site, they just creep me out . Help out your family as much as you can TC and forget these scumbags. It actually sounds like these "guys" have had family problems and can't deal with them. NEWS FLASH not everyone marries a Freeloading *****.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (3.Slow @ May 18 2009, 01:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726103
QUOTE (rudedog @ May 17 2009, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725793
So, your s.i.l.'s xploder is ****, borrows your mom's Sable, and your MOM needs a new car?? RIGHT....

Sounds like it's a great way to put your MOM into debt, instead of trying to get the s.i.l. into a less ****** ride.[/b]

These guys sound like they have something up their asses . I respect the fact that they "know" about cars but you can honestly tell these people are not family oriented . Not to sound mean or anything but TC came over for CAR advice, not family counseling! It's a car site ! On the other hand looking at the post count on these people it actually makes sense that they would know donkey $hit on family, but rather spend their time on this site, they just creep me out . Help out your family as much as you can TC and forget these scumbags. It actually sounds like these "guys" have had family problems and can't deal with them. NEWS FLASH not everyone marries a Freeloading *****.
[/b][/quote]

Wow, way to go with the 3 post counts there sir.

Both of these men are very family oriented, and I also happen to agree with their path of thinking. Screw letting the sister-in-law be comfortable in YOUR MOTHER's vehicle. If the S.I.L. were to actually maintain the vehicle she'd HAVE a vehicle that was road worthy. If your parents vehicle is still good and road-worthy, why not have them keep it? Why do they need a brand new vehicle?? I dont' understand why you "know she needs" this new car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ May 18 2009, 04:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726128
(3.slow @ May 18 2009, 1:48 PM)QUOTE
(rudedog @ May 17 2009, 11:28 AM)
These guys sound like they have something up their asses . I respect the fact that they "know" about cars but you can honestly tell these people are not family oriented . Not to sound mean or anything but TC came over for CAR advice, not family counseling! It's a car site ! On the other hand looking at the post count on these people it actually makes sense that they would know donkey $hit on family, but rather spend their time on this site, they just creep me out . Help out your family as much as you can TC and forget these scumbags. It actually sounds like these "guys" have had family problems and can't deal with them. NEWS FLASH not everyone marries a Freeloading *****.[/b][/quote]

Let's see, "something up their asses", no, can't say I have anything up my ass ceptin a big load of poo although as many members here know I do enjoy being a complete ass at times.
"you can tell these people are not family oriented", I guess that depends on YOUR idea of family orientation, now doesn't it.
post count, well they'd probably be A LOT higher if we were still on the original server/site from 2001 when a lot of us joined.
TC, who the heck is TC?? the op's screen name is JohnTaurus, he's been here for a while and has had his share of problems, family, car and life related, me I personally could care less if you know ANYTHING about my life, it's the internet, most people can find info on most anyone else. So you just sit there and be creeped out ... or leave.
"had family problems and can't deal with them" HAHAHA whatever, if you only knew.
"not everyone marries a FREELOADING *****" wow, I'm sorry your spouse is like that.

I posted a bit of what the op told us about his predicament, if he didn't want feedback, then he should not have asked, period. I've responded many times to his posts and we rarely see eye to eye. If you can't handle people posting an opinion on an internet site, then maybe this site, in particular, and the internet, is not for you, seek release elsewhere. Thanks, Rudy.
[/b][/quote]

lol I can take an opinion. It looks like you cant. If you were offended by what I said then I apologize, but I everyone makes mistakes. At least I don't try to justify the fact that I "judged" someone after someone pointing it out red handed . Also, don't worry I did not marry a freeloading ***** so I don't need your pity. If you had something to say about that then it only shows what kind of person you are. I can be on this forum and express my OPINIONS like wise and if you sir don't like it, feel free to leave. Thanks, Daddy.

"as many members here know I do enjoy being a complete ass at times."

PS: If putting people down makes you feel good inside then you're a foolish scum. I wish the best of luck to you. Also "TC" stand for TOPIC CREATOR . Use it. It's used almost in every forum online . I corrected you for further embarrassment.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
QUOTE (3.Slow @ May 23 2009, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727359
These guys sound like they have something up their asses . I respect the fact that they "know" about cars but you can honestly tell these people are not family oriented . Not to sound mean or anything but TC came over for CAR advice, not family counseling! It's a car site ! On the other hand looking at the post count on these people it actually makes sense that they would know donkey $hit on family, but rather spend their time on this site, they just creep me out . Help out your family as much as you can TC and forget these scumbags. It actually sounds like these "guys" have had family problems and can't deal with them. NEWS FLASH not everyone marries a Freeloading *****.[/b][/quote]

Let's see, "something up their asses", no, can't say I have anything up my ass ceptin a big load of poo although as many members here know I do enjoy being a complete ass at times.
"you can tell these people are not family oriented", I guess that depends on YOUR idea of family orientation, now doesn't it.
post count, well they'd probably be A LOT higher if we were still on the original server/site from 2001 when a lot of us joined.
TC, who the heck is TC?? the op's screen name is JohnTaurus, he's been here for a while and has had his share of problems, family, car and life related, me I personally could care less if you know ANYTHING about my life, it's the internet, most people can find info on most anyone else. So you just sit there and be creeped out ... or leave.
"had family problems and can't deal with them" HAHAHA whatever, if you only knew.
"not everyone marries a FREELOADING *****" wow, I'm sorry your spouse is like that.

I posted a bit of what the op told us about his predicament, if he didn't want feedback, then he should not have asked, period. I've responded many times to his posts and we rarely see eye to eye. If you can't handle people posting an opinion on an internet site, then maybe this site, in particular, and the internet, is not for you, seek release elsewhere. Thanks, Rudy.
[/b][/quote]

lol I can take an opinion. It looks like you cant. If you were offended by what I said then I apologize, but I everyone makes mistakes. At least I don't try to justify the fact that I "judged" someone after someone pointing it out red handed . Also, don't worry I did not marry a freeloading ***** so I don't need your pity. If you had something to say about that then it only shows what kind of person you are. I can be on this forum and express my OPINIONS like wise and if you sir don't like it, feel free to leave. Thanks, Daddy.

PS: If putting people down makes you feel good inside then you're a foolish scum. I wish the best of luck to you. Also "TC" stand for TOPIC CREATOR . Use it. It's used almost in every forum online . I corrected you for further embarrassment.
[/b][/quote]

You obviously visit different forums to the many that I visit. I've never come across the term "TC" either. The term I've seen most frequently used is "OP", an acronym for "original post" or "original poster". You would do well to learn it and use it on this forum - it's both rude and arrogant to come to a forum as a new member and try to lecture us on your views of the world. :rolleyes2:

You are the one who should be embarrassed.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
In any case, it's clear that John, your mother is self-less in allowing your S.I.L. borrow the car. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. However, maybe she was looking for an excuse to get a new car :D Either way, if she does end up getting a new bull, please share the details/pics.

Oh and it's good to see you're still kickin around :thumb:

·
Registered
283 Posts
well, lets see. Good that ur mom is looking at and likes fords. If ur mom needs a new car then great, the 08, 09 tauri are nice cars. That said I do agree on the fact that ur s.i.l needs to be able to maintain her own vehicle and not put ur mom out by taking hers. I will not insult anyone with this thinking, no need for that but helping ur family is fine and dandy to a point. I wont go into details as i don't know the situation but like it was mentioned this is a CAR forum. If ur mom can get into the car with out going bankrupt then sweet just don't let the s.i.l come in a year when she srews up the sable and takes the taurus thus leaving ur mom looking to get a newer car. anywya my 2 cents worth and it is only 2 cents not meant to start anything.

·
Registered
283 Posts
well, lets see. Good that ur mom is looking at and likes fords. If ur mom needs a new car then great, the 08, 09 tauri are nice cars. That said I do agree on the fact that ur s.i.l needs to be able to maintain her own vehicle and not put ur mom out by taking hers. I will not insult anyone with this thinking, no need for that but helping ur family is fine and dandy to a point. I wont go into details as i don't know the situation but like it was mentioned this is a CAR forum. If ur mom can get into the car with out going bankrupt then sweet just don't let the s.i.l come in a year when she srews up the sable and takes the taurus thus leaving ur mom looking to get a newer car. anywya my 2 cents worth and it is only 2 cents not meant to start anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Markus @ May 23 2009, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727450

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

You obviously visit different forums to the many that I visit. I've never come across the term "TC" either. The term I've seen most frequently used is "OP", an acronym for "original post" or "original poster". You would do well to learn it and use it on this forum - it's both rude and arrogant to come to a forum as a new member and try to lecture us on your views of the world. :rolleyes2:

[/b][/quote]

Well it is your world we're just living in it . I'm not embarrassed, like I said I didn't mean to offend you buddy. You attacked and I defended my views. Never did I try to change your covetous ways.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ex fleet cars can be a great deal! I would lean for the '08 Taurus. I would stick with lease/rental/corporate returns, as they've already dropped a ton in resale value from new. Hertz will even provide maint records if you ask them, and they don't allow under 25 drivers. I don't see buying one of these cars new, as their resale value drops very fast. I've had very good luck with my former Hertz rent-a-Taurus, and remember, most people don't abuse rentals, most people just drive them like their own cars. I would look for one that was owned by a company that dosen't allow under 25 drivers for that reason.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
QUOTE (3.Slow @ May 24 2009, 12:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727552
QUOTE (Markus @ May 23 2009, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727450

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Well it is your world we're just living in it . I'm not embarrassed, like I said I didn't mean to offend you buddy. You attacked and I defended my views. Never did I try to change your covetous ways.
[/b][/quote]

I never attacked you and nor did you say you didn't mean to offend me. Maybe you should read the name of the poster before replying. :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ May 28 2009, 12:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728515
You and I.[/b]
Wow holy shot I wish someone told me he was attacking me.
Well at least he said I knew about cars shows you
How smart he really is, I know shot about cars and
Every here can attest to that.
As far as being not family oriented well
I can only speak for myself but I can tell
You I value my mom my brother and my
Wife and girls more then life itself.

Now to the ***** thing I really hope your
Not talking about my wife well for that matter
Any female because it only shows your momma
Did not raise you right. My mom raised
My brother and I to respect people.

I will say on this forum everyone herehas tried
To help me when I had a question I may dislike
Some here but they always try to help me.
I will say I really hate you and only after
A few post.

Thanks fire for sticking up for me.
Bry

·
Registered
27 Posts
John, just get them some Camry instead. With the amount of headache and money spending that i have right now with my 2000 Taurus (only 67 K), I wouldn't reccommend this car even to my enemies.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
QUOTE (risoworker @ May 28 2009, 07:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728556
QUOTE (rudedog @ May 28 2009, 12:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728515
You and I.[/b]
Wow holy shot I wish someone told me he was attacking me.
Well at least he said I knew about cars shows you
How smart he really is, I know shot about cars and
Every here can attest to that.
As far as being not family oriented well
I can only speak for myself but I can tell
You I value my mom my brother and my
Wife and girls more then life itself.

Now to the ***** thing I really hope your
Not talking about my wife well for that matter
Any female because it only shows your momma
Did not raise you right. My mom raised
My brother and I to respect people.

I will say on this forum everyone herehas tried
To help me when I had a question I may dislike
Some here but they always try to help me.
I will say I really hate you and only after
A few post.

Thanks fire for sticking up for me.
Bry
[/b][/quote]

Bryan, this isn't an attack, but I enjoy how you write your posts in poem format... :lol2:

Anyway...back to the topic on hand...

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (dasixx @ May 30 2009, 09:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729106
John, just get them some Camry instead. With the amount of headache and money spending that i have right now with my 2000 Taurus (only 67 K), I wouldn't reccommend this car even to my enemies.[/b]
John is a Ford guy, going to be hard to get him in a Toyota.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts