Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vulcan 3.0 2002 taurus. i have to replace the coolant tank, the second one, I used the the black top tank the first time. the new tank is the clear tank with the coolant hose coming out of the top left corner. the tank i used before had it coming out the top middle. I had to cut the hose to make it work on the black tank, now the clear tank has it where it was originally. The hose looks like it goes under the intake but cannot see where it goes from there.

What is the hose called and where can i buy it?
does anyone have the instructions for replacing it?
thanks
bryan

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Bryan,
I believe you are referring to the coolant expansion tube. It is rubber at each end, but metal in the middle. The metal section is bolted at each end to the underside of the UIM, but can usually be removed without taking off the UIM, the bolts being just under the UIM at the left and right sides. You should be able to see the other end of it (drivers side) attached to the lower intake, with a small hose clamp, the other end (as you know) attached to the expansion tank/degasser bottle. Look up coolant expansion tube in Haynes or Chilton's, it's right there.-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dan but it doesn't look like it has metal on it. the tube is no more then 1/2" i.d. i was thinking of using a barb fitting to join an extension piece.
I don;t have an manual. lol

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
On a G3 it is metal under the UIM, on a G4, not so sure. Yes, it is a smaller diameter line. Trace it with your hand where it goes under the UIM. Right after it goes under the UIM you may feel it transition to steel tube and a hold down clamp with a single screw on it. It is the actual line that removes/purges air from the engine's coolant system or "degasser line". Barbed fitting with a hose extension would be the easiest fix. -Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
On a G3 it is metal under the UIM, on a G4, not so sure. Yes, it is a smaller diameter line. Trace it with your hand where it goes under the UIM. Right after it goes under the UIM you may feel it transition to steel tube and a hold down clamp with a single screw on it. It is the actual line that removes/purges air from the engine's coolant system or "degasser line". Barbed fitting with a hose extension would be the easiest fix. -Dan
same on a g4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts