Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need some help here, i believe my current tire is 235/35/20 and they are some crappy town fair model.

EDIT- i use nankangs, they actually perform super well and never loose grip, but i dont need to be cornering. and being directional i only got about 25k from them if that.

id really like to do away with directionals if possible because the performance is not an issue, the tires i have on now are directionals and i flew through them, and believe me my vulcan CANNOT spin them unless raining, so im not burning them off or doing anything crazy.

in addition to this id like to go up one size on the side wall, but this has always confused me. if i wanted one size taller side wall would it be 235/45/20?

im probably going to have to get spacers in the back but im ok with that. i just want to be able to keep my 20's on all year, with plasti dip in the winter, ive done a few sets of wheels and they work great, not sure how it will hold up to ice and salt but we will see.

·
Registered
233 Posts
From some fiddling around on 1010tire.com's calculator, 235/35R20 is already taller than a 215/60R16. Going a size up would be a 235/40R20, a 5% overdrive. A 235/45 might completely fill up your wheel wells.

·
Registered
260 Posts
going from a 35 to a 40 is taller. so a 35 to 45 is def taller. bigger the number generally the taller the sidewall. Want some decent tire prices go to tirerack.com.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
As far as more height using "45" the only sizes you can safely use would be any thing 205 and lower. Which would be super skinny, which defeats it really. Personally Id look for some 255/30r20's they are a little bit wider but not by much. Shouldn't have any rubbing issues and you'll have a "wider" tire that is only .5% difference than stock.

As far as tires go, non directional will cost you more than directional. I'd just go with some Nankang NS-II's ($131 each ) or my personal favorite Hankook Ventus's ($159 each)

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i currently have the nankangs, and it looks like the hankooks are the only bet.

i dont want wider i want a bit more sidewall if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I know what you want I was just telling you in a nice way that you can't have it. While also giving you a reasonable alternative suggestion. Only way to get more side wall is to drop in tire size. You might be able to physical fit them on but the cons out weight the pros. Not to mention that your speedometer would be off by nearly 8mph (your front end will love that).

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Drop down to 18" rims. Then you can have 4" of side wall between the rim and the ground.
Tire side wall acts like a spring to absorb road vibrations/ bumps.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you try and fit larger diameter tires, check the space between the lower spring mount on the strut and the tires. If You don't it will be a expensive mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not going to drop down to 18" rims.

its almost impossible to sell 5x108 20's, i tried to a crazy low price and didnt get any calls on boston craigslist. they were just under $2000 and i had them for $950 with tires like 6 months ago. no bites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts