Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if posting this will accomplish much, but I might as well try.
My trunk rattles a lot. I'v taken care of the license plate, and I dynamated my trunk lid, which seems to be the main source (biggest waste of $ EVER). When I put pressure on the trunk lid, it seems to almost stop the rattle, so I unscrewed the little rubber stoppers on the trunk lid about a half inch. I did this to put more pressure on the lid while it is closed. It seemed to help a lot. Does anyone else have any ideas? What usually rattles in a trunk?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I have found that rattles is the cross bars on the trunk lid. They rotate as the trunk opens and shuts, so there is some play in them causing the rattle. Im not really sure of a good solution to the problem except to maybe wrap them in something rubber?

·
Registered
933 Posts
never found a solution to that. my dad and I were working on that problem once, and gave up after we sat on the trunk and found that even that did not stop the rattling...at all in my case! as long as you can't hear it so much inside, its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You will never get rid of the rattle no matter how hard you try. Think about it - all the soundwaves are hitting your trunklid, which by design is HUGE and there is a lot to rattle around. My car shakes apart with a 250watt amp and 2 10's. Look around for any rattle can rubberizing product and try that, it will deaden it - not eliminate it

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sometimes your taillights can be the source of rattling.

·
Registered
933 Posts
the rear plate often rattles a lot, also the rear bumper on my car does, I find that if I push the plastic clips in tigher, it gets rid of a lot of it, but they never stay tight. you could try replaceing them with some screws or something

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I have a spoiler on my Gen IV and I have eliminated the rattling on the trunk lid. I bought rubber bumpers from Home Depot and glued them on where my other bumpers hit so thee lid is harder to close. (make sure they aren't too long or the lid will flex! I put bicycle tubes inbetween the spoiler and the trunk lid and between the LED cover and the spoiler.

NOW, the bumper cover rattles and the remote radio unit or stock amp that is mounted on the back of the left rear wheel well is the loudest, as well as a little rubber flapper type drain near that unit.

(this is with 2 - 12" subs with dynomat extreme on the entire trunk, and license plate and 600 watt amp and 600 watt RMS on the speakers [JL HO Box with JBL amp])

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
183 Posts
just buy liquid sound deadener like the liquid dynamat. and spray the cross bars. or get rid of the key lock on the trunk and put in a shaved trunk pop kit

·
Registered
101 Posts
hahahhahah trunk rattle rules!!!! lol

Its fun watching people TRY to stop trunk rattle. Stop dumping wasted money into your trunks!! It is damn near impossible. Think about it, you have (insert wattage of amp here)watts of bass POUNDING against your trunk lid. Like others said, you can have people sit on it, its not gonna stop totally. You shouldnt even worry about it unless you can hear it inside the car. I Have 1000watts of bass in my trunk, and barely any trunk rattle. Notice I say BARELY. When I had 300 in there before with my old trunk lid (which was replaced due to a pole imprint), you could hear it through the whole car......

horrible.

Besides.....after spending all that time and money building your system with those tvs, and all that bass, when you go get a drink at the end of the day with the stereo blasting so you can test out how good it sounds and you hear that trunk pounding and rattling, you look at your car....(insert favorite drink here) in your hand, smile and say to yourself "damn, i'm pimpin now" warms your heart, doesnt it?

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Im sure that the rattle can be stopped. There is absolutely no reason why it can't be now is there. I have 2000watts of bass in my trunk and I don't even have the guts to stand outside my car cuz i know how bad it is going to rattle. Why try and stop the rattle? Because it is a hell of alot nicer to show off or at least if you are driving down the street people can actualyl hear what your listening to, not laughing at whats bangin around. Saying that you can't stop the rattle is like saying you can't make a vulcan fast. You can, just takes time, money, and effort to do so. Theres no need to be so pessimistic.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
So flickle the tickle lets see your seat belt fastened
Trunk rattlin’ like two midgets in the back seat wrasling
Speakerbox vibrate the tag, make it sound like aluminum cans in the back.
But I know ya’ll wanted that 808 can you feel that B-A-S-S, bass
But I know ya’ll wanted that 808 can you feel that B-A-S-S, bass

-- Outkast

·
Registered
101 Posts
Who cares what people you pass by think of the rattle. hell, I laugh when I go by them, cuz I know that when I have on some Bass Mekanik, that they need some new undies after I pass by. Bottom line, if it sounds good in your car to you, why care what someone outside says about it?

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Heres a reason, if someone is standing at ur window you can be like check this out and crank it., and it will nto sound like crap. Also what if you wanna stand outside your car, talk to people and listen to music? Are you going to just listen to mids and tweets? Not likely, but you won't be able to use your subs if it rattles like crazy either.

Btw... I think that was a slight exageration on the effect of your system... Im sure it is loud and sounds great but I doubt it is loud enough to gather that much attention... Just my opinion, not meant to be offensive..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not tryin to say my system is great, just happy that I have something that pounds for once in my life
If you're gonna stand around with your friends outside of your car and listen to your system, you'd either be standing in front of it, right next to it, or sitting on the trunk, right? Sitting on the trunk eliminates most rattle.....and standing next to it or in front of it you can hear everything clearly. The bass will drown out the rattling anyway.

The reason mine *seems* so loud is cuz I cut out all of the insulation behind the back seat and the foam insert behind the flip-down armrest in the back seat. I'm waiting to see when the db drags come around philly again. I'm gonna enter my car this time.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
I don't think you understand the magnitude of some of these rattles! lol There is no way the bass will drown out the trunk rattle in my particular situation. Also I do not like people sitting on my car, period. Thats a great idea to sit on a car, since some jeans still have little rivets in them. Bottom line is it can be done if you are willing to invest the time effort and cash..

·
Registered
746 Posts
crank your stereo, stand outside your car, and try to locate the rattles. next, get in your trunk, hit the areas where you think the rattles are with the end of a screwdriver, spray expanding foam on those areas... repeat until yuo have no rattles or an acceptable amount of rattling.

expanding foam is your friend. oh yeah, good input alex, do what twilight said

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Ok, i think there is a part alot of people miss...

there is this valve inside the trunk, under the carpet....it's on theleft hand side of the trunk, and i believe that the valve rattles a lot when the bass hits.. but its just a guess

·
Registered
183 Posts
on my gen three is comes form the lockin area of the trunk lid. like really bad too. sounds like my car is a kia

J

·
0 Posts
I really don't have much of a rattling problem... not sure why, although it's been a couple months since I've stood outside the car and listened to it. The only thing I had was trunk rattle and I don't remember what I did to get rid of that. Now you guys made me wanna stand out in the cold and listen to my car, lol. btw... i have 2 phoenix gold 12's w/ a 2000w legacy amp

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Trunk Rattle sounds horrible no matter where it is rattling from! I recently downgraded my system, from 4 15's, which made the lid look like it was going to fly right off, down to 2 12" Pioneer TS-W305C's and the trunk lid still rattles insanely. But im sure this is something that can be properly fixed with the right amount of patience and materials.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts