Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. so i want to ride my bike this year, but i dont want to drive my van every time i want to ride. so im looking for a bike rack for the g4 with spoiler. i am looking for one that will carry 2 bikes. and wont scratch my paint. i am willing to put microfiber towels at any spots it touches, but dont want weight distribution to be centered on any points to crack the paint or dent trunklid.

other options are adding a hitch and getting hitch mount, but thats a great deal more expensive.

anyone know any good trunkmount brands?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i would also like to know this i bought a brand new bike like a couple months before i got my license and i think i have only used it like maybe 15 times in the last 2.5 years, and would like to start riding again

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
LMAO, Dad and I spent a couple hours installing a hitch on my car... what a mess. So much went wrong. All just so I could use our hitch-mount bike rack this summer.

I wish I hadn't sold that G4 hitch I had a few months ago. You coulda had it for cheap... :(

A quick search on detroit craigslist for Bike Rack shows quite a few inexpensive used ones... If you find one up near me I'd be glad to grab it for you and we can meet up when you have time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (SilverKnight @ Mar 29 2009, 12:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713285
ok. so i want to ride my bike this year, but i dont want to drive my van every time i want to ride. so im looking for a bike rack for the g4 with spoiler. i am looking for one that will carry 2 bikes. and wont scratch my paint. i am willing to put microfiber towels at any spots it touches, but dont want weight distribution to be centered on any points to crack the paint or dent trunklid.

other options are adding a hitch and getting hitch mount, but thats a great deal more expensive.

anyone know any good trunkmount brands?

Thanks[/b]

I have a G4 with a spoiler and bought the run of the mill trunk lid mount bike rack at target for no more than $30 bucks I think...holds two bikes also. No scratches or ill affects.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Mario, I'd give you mine. I can't use it since I got a full suspension mountain bike - the frame isn't standard and won't fit on the rack. It's been in my shed for centuries. Two problems: 1. I don't know for sure if it'll work on the Gen IV trunk w/ spoiler and 2. I'm kinda far away.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
You guys could meet up at the Gingerman event! Yay for a great plan made by me.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Toast @ Apr 9 2009, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716488
Mario, I'd give you mine. I can't use it since I got a full suspension mountain bike - the frame isn't standard and won't fit on the rack. It's been in my shed for centuries. Two problems: 1. I don't know for sure if it'll work on the Gen IV trunk w/ spoiler and 2. I'm kinda far away.[/b]
they dont work on dual suspension bikes? mine has the midshock on it. hmm ill have to look into it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (Ford4Life @ Apr 9 2009, 09:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716461
I have a G4 with a spoiler and bought the run of the mill trunk lid mount bike rack at target for no more than $30 bucks I think...holds two bikes also. No scratches or ill affects.[/b]
Do you have any other information about this bike rack from Target? Thinking I will pick one up. Granted, if I take the front wheel off the bike fits across the backseat no problem, but a bike rack would be easier.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
If you dont need the back seat, just take the front wheel off the bike and it should fit in.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
QUOTE (SilverKnight @ Apr 10 2009, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716706
QUOTE (Toast @ Apr 9 2009, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716488
Mario, I'd give you mine. I can't use it since I got a full suspension mountain bike - the frame isn't standard and won't fit on the rack. It's been in my shed for centuries. Two problems: 1. I don't know for sure if it'll work on the Gen IV trunk w/ spoiler and 2. I'm kinda far away.[/b]
they dont work on dual suspension bikes? mine has the midshock on it. hmm ill have to look into it.
[/b][/quote]

Well, it might be made to work but my bike (clicky) would about be standing on end rather than sitting level. Besides, I don't really see myself riding a bike much until we start camping as a family and we'll hopefully be taking the canoe trailer with the camping gear on it and I'll need to make some sort of carrier attachment for everyone's bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts