Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
The trunk latch on my 2002 Taurus sticks. When you hit the button on the key fob or the inside trunk release button you can hear it click but the trunk does not open. You have to push down on the trunk and press the button and then the trunk will open.
Does anyone know how to adjust the latch so I can get the trunk to pop open again when I push the button?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Before you adjust, you might try a tiny dab of lithium grease or even work a bit of wax candle across the latch and the latch bar (the part recessed in the black plastic trim at the bottom of the trunk opening.

If lubrication doesn't work, both the latch and the bar will adjust -- in this case you want to lower the latch. It's held on with 3 screws. First mark their present location (with a Sharpie, scratches with an Xacto knife, anything that will mark current location) Loosen the 3 screws very slightly and move the latch down a tiny amount. Tighten, then shut and attempt to open again.

Unfortunately, moving the latch down will make the trunk lid press more lightly along the trunk weatherstripping. Mine already leaks a tiny amount even though the trunk closes pretty tightly, so you don't want to move the latch much.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Mar 31 2009, 02:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714072
Before you adjust, you might try a tiny dab of lithium grease or even work a bit of wax candle across the latch and the latch bar (the part recessed in the black plastic trim at the bottom of the trunk opening.

If lubrication doesn't work, both the latch and the bar will adjust -- in this case you want to lower the latch. It's held on with 3 screws. First mark their present location (with a Sharpie, scratches with an Xacto knife, anything that will mark current location) Loosen the 3 screws very slightly and move the latch down a tiny amount. Tighten, then shut and attempt to open again.

Unfortunately, moving the latch down will make the trunk lid press more lightly along the trunk weatherstripping. Mine already leaks a tiny amount even though the trunk closes pretty tightly, so you don't want to move the latch much.[/b]
:werd: to the above method. My trunk and door seals all stuck. After I applied some Shin-Etsu grease to the trunk lid seals and where the seals , and adjusted the bump stops on the trunk lid, the trunk now requires less force to close it...and it doesn't stick when you pop the lid B)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 31 2009, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714284
After I applied some Shin-Etsu grease to the trunk lid seals and where the seals...[/b]
WTF is Shin-Etsu grease? Sounds like some exotic east Asian miracle cream. This is America! We use the sweat of lumberjacks to grease our seals, commie!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Apr 1 2009, 02:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714294
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 31 2009, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714284
After I applied some Shin-Etsu grease to the trunk lid seals and where the seals...[/b]
WTF is Shin-Etsu grease? Sounds like some exotic east Asian miracle cream. This is America! We use the sweat of lumberjacks to grease our seals, commie!
[/b][/quote]
:lol:

If you can bring yourself to put Asian products on your American rubber...
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Shin-Etsu-Gre...08798-9013.aspx

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts