Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday that the trunk floor right above the muffler was very hot after a trip to the in-laws. I looked and there was no heat shield. I looked under two other Tauruses and they did not have heat shields either.
Is there supposed to be a heat shield between the muffler and the trunk floor? If not, is it normal for it to get so hot you can barely hold your hand on it?

I was thinking that I might be running a little lean and causing the heat. Engine seems to run good. 174,000 miles. It does show a Catalyst inefficiency code and a bad after cat O2 sensor as well. Not sure if that is related.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
No, there's not supposed to be a heat shield there. As for whether it's normal to get that hot, I can't say. I've never noticed anything on my car, even after swapping audio amps 9 million times.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
I noticed yesterday that the trunk floor right above the muffler was very hot after a trip to the in-laws. I looked and there was no heat shield. I looked under two other Tauruses and they did not have heat shields either.
Is there supposed to be a heat shield between the muffler and the trunk floor? If not, is it normal for it to get so hot you can barely hold your hand on it?

I was thinking that I might be running a little lean and causing the heat. Engine seems to run good. 174,000 miles. It does show a Catalyst inefficiency code and a bad after cat O2 sensor as well. Not sure if that is related.
"It does show a Catalyst inefficiency code and a bad after cat O2 sensor as well"

You answered your own question in part, check for a hole in the muffler too.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
At 174k I would check the top of the muffler. That's where I have had several cars in which the muffler rusted through in that spot shooting exhaust upwards.
And without a lot of noise I might add also.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, I never thought about looking on the top part of the muffler for a hole. It is sort of loud coming out of the exhaust, but not annoying, just a rumble. It is the original muffler as well. I am going to look at that and let you know what I find.

Thank You so much for the tip.
I might have a bad converter as well. I put a scanner on this thing running and the downstream 02 on bank 2 is reading the same as the upstream on the same side, so that would indicate that the converter is not working. The exhaust smell still smells the same as a normal converted engine, so I am not sure what is going on. Could be the sensor itself.

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
Is the downstream sensor following the .9 V to .1 V voltage swings every second or so as the upstream? Upstream Volts should oscillate fairly rapidly .9 to .1 V but downstream should hold pretty steady around .6 V or so if cat is working correctly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
downstream is following the upstream on the bank two or bank closest to the core support. My guess is that either the O2 sensor downstream is reading wrong, or the converter is bad. I have two codes. P0430 and P2270 as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Repairman54,
You were spot on. There is a hole about the size of a half dollar on the very top of the muffler in the center. So its off to the muffler shop today to get a new one put on.
Thanks again for the diagnosis.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the muffler replaced today $45 bucks. I didn't know how bad that old muffler really was until today. New muffler is nice and quiet. I am sure the floor is much cooler too. Thanks again for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
04 Freebee
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing