Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal,
Ive been playin around with my 96 sable at the track and around town a bit..
I will be removing my current Glasspack muffler and going with TRUE straight pipe into Y-pipe and dual tips.

I have taken the cats off and gutted them out and re-welded them back on.
I know i will have a loud, deep sound.
before i had just the 2 cats and no muffler at all.. very deep rumble no rice..
wonder how it will sound now that i have no guts in the cats???
ill be doing this in our shop here in a few days.. let me know what you think.....

i dont believe in taking my car somewhere else when i can do it personally. :)
i have CAI - custom fabricated by myself.
all exhaust pipe will be 2 1/4
ported and polished MAF - also done by myself.
Loop-Idle Mod - programed by myself..

anyone done this before? hopefully i can get some sound clips soon..
thnks for your input.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
you will lose a significant amount of low end. first by splitting the pipe in two at the rear, and then with pipes too big and no backpressure at all. you'll gain a bit on the top which may be worth it if you have a cam, but not on a stock motor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remember.. im just looking for sound... not performance..
this is a now just a driver with a few mods.. not a drag car :)

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If you want sound I would suggest getting a pair of Flowmasters. You can get the 40 series on ebay for like $40 each and they will give your car an awesome sound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont want flows.. ive had flows, summits and a glasspack..
none are loud enough for me..
then again my other driver is a 68 GTO convertable
Worship the GOAT... :notworthy: thats right.. not worthy....

:)

would be ok if it got better than 8 mpg :)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Go with cut-outs then. Or screw it, side pipes. :coolgleam:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Strait pipe it should be cool. But if you want performance out of it for about $100 you can get an electronic valve for an exhaust cut out. You can buy just the vavle. get one in the right size. Place it before the second y-pipe you are putting in the rear. Then you can set it to open at curtain rpm's. At the lower rpms it will close a slight bit. Giving you that much needed back pressure. At the high rpms it is open all the way and you know have unrestriced pipes. That is what I would do it. For another buck on top of what you have spent and it lets you keep what you have and also lets you take advantage of the new pipes. The hard part is getting it set right. I would get a pressure gauge and put it on a friends stock vulcan's exhaust. Right it all down. Do it as many times as you can. The more data you wright down the more accurate the end results will be. Watch the back pressure through out the rpm rang. Put the Gauge on yours with the pipes, and tune your valve and get some poneys.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I know somebody is gonna let me have it for saying this but ......"What about a couple of Coke cans" (Rice mufflers) :ph34r:

BTW- A 68 GTO convertible is nasty
But a 68 Charger is deadly!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Jun 16 2004, 01:24 PM
I know somebody is gonna let me have it  for saying this but ......"What about a couple of Coke cans" (Rice mufflers) :ph34r:
I'll let you know. I have 2 in my garage and hope to install them on the weekend of the 4th.

...Let the flaming begin!!... Say what you will about the :fart: cans but they'll look good on my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts