Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read posts here contending Vulcans tend to get rusty coolant. Basically, the posts indicate it's not a big deal.

I have a question for them. When coolant turns brown, does the coolant level go down, too?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I read posts here contending Vulcans tend to get rusty coolant. Basically, the posts indicate it's not a big deal.

I have a question for them. When coolant turns brown, does the coolant level go down, too?
if a clogged heater core isnt a big deal then no its not. as far as the coolant level, it should never go down. unless its boils out, leaks or burns off.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If in doubt, flush it out!!! No time like now to get it out of there. I like nice green and clean fluids cooling my aluminum radiator and heater core. Once you invite sludge and rust you are in for $$$$$$$$ Just Sayin~~

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Most folks never service or maintain their vehicles properly.
Other than a occasional oil change it's drive it until something breaks. One of the pitfalls of buying used cars if your not a gear head. Trans service and cooling system maintainace are two prime examples, if it's full just shrug you shoulders and close the hood.
100k spark plugs, they will last longer than that but it's inviting other issues if you leave them in that long. Same with coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
You're finding out that coolant loses its rust inhibitor. "Lifetime" means just a couple of years.
2x^
Lifetime is the life of the warranty.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If you flush and change your antifreeze every three or four years,
you will " Live long and prosper"

basically starting around gen3 on Vulcans that used a degass tank, Taurus seemed to develop an issue with brown sludge in the degass tank. If you see this in yours its like a stroke on a human waiting to happen.

Theory's vary on what is really the cause. There is a Ford TSB out on Fords recommended flush procedure. If the antifreeze gets really bad, strange things happen like heater core gets plugged up, heater core bypass metal hose rots from the inside out, The impellers on the water pump rot off, radiator can get plugged, and the head gaskets get compromised.

The degass tanks tend to crack at the bottom allowing coolant to leak and temps to go up. the plastic T fittings on the heater core bypass have been known to spring pinhole leaks. the heater core bypass metal pipe on the firewall can leak from rusting from the inside out.

On a higher mileage Vulcan, here are things i would do
change water pump
flush heater core flush motor through hole left by water pump removal
Take degass tank off and inspect for cracks.
replace serp belt tensioner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts