Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting used to taking my car to a local oil change place, one boring saturday morning it hit me that I was pretty dumb to pay someone to do something so simple. Oil was on sale at the auto store, so I was able to get high quality oil and a premium filter for less than they charge me for who knows what.

Changing it was no problem, and I stomped on my foot one more time for spending all of that money at the oil change shop.

My question is what needs to be done on top of changing the oil and filter, i.e. where to lube the suspension, etc.

I just had new sway bar links installed, and everything else seems in order now, after having to replace the transmission at 207,000 miles with one from a car that had 65k.

I asked a neighbor who just works as a mechanic out of his garage, (not a nasa engineer) and he told me that all of the suspension parts were a closed system, not requiring any peoridic maintenance.

Is this true, if not, what is needed to keep this car going strong.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Yes, most oem bearings, suspension parts, etc. are sealed (non-greaseable, only replaceable). Sit back, have a beer with the money you saved!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Service

After getting used to taking my car to a local oil change place, one boring saturday morning it hit me that I was pretty dumb to pay someone to do something so simple. Oil was on sale at the auto store, so I was able to get high quality oil and a premium filter for less than they charge me for who knows what.

Changing it was no problem, and I stomped on my foot one more time for spending all of that money at the oil change shop.

My question is what needs to be done on top of changing the oil and filter, i.e. where to lube the suspension, etc.

I just had new sway bar links installed, and everything else seems in order now, after having to replace the transmission at 207,000 miles with one from a car that had 65k.

I asked a neighbor who just works as a mechanic out of his garage, (not a nasa engineer) and he told me that all of the suspension parts were a closed system, not requiring any peoridic maintenance.

Is this true, if not, what is needed to keep this car going strong.
Do well to check the air filter, coolant level, PCV valve, vacuum hoses, brake fluid, PS fluid, radiator for bugs and leaves, battery cable corrosion, cabin air filter, air in tires, wiper blade, tread depth, brake condition, belt and tensioner condition. ( I would pull on the belt to make the tensioner move and let it return. Should move smothly)

Others might add.

On a schedule, coolant replace, gas filter.

-chart-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts