Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Troubleshooting Cold Hard 1-2 Shift

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  liquid_force 
#1 ·
I already posted on this a while back, still haven't figured it out. I have an 04 Taurus SE. It has a harsh 1-2 shift only while cold. After the engine gets up to temp, or the transmission gets up operating temp everything works fine. I have access to a MODIS scanner and there are no codes. I was thinking maybe it was the transmission fluid temp sensor but can't find the voltage vs temp values on Mitchell or Alldata. 50 degrees and the sensor is reading 3.5 volts, does this sound right? I have a chart that tells sensor parameters at operating temp and everything looks good. I know these cars have a cold shift program but something has got to be sending a false signal to get these hard shifts. I had the PCM reflashed then swapped it for another one and got the same symptoms, replaced a faulty transmisssion range sensor, and Coolant temp sensor (it was cheap and I wanted to rule it out) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#5 ·
Nothing to contribute diagnosis-wise, but here are the TFT resistance values:
[attachment=29091:04tranny...sistance.jpg]

Attachments

#6 ·
I had a similar problem on my 97 this evening. I drove about 10 miles and it was shifting flawlessly the whole way there. I came out about a hour later and the whole way home all the 1 - 2 shifts were hard. All the other gears shifted ok. I had some extra parts in the garage so I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and the shifts are back to normal again. In fact I think it shifts better, I will have to take it out for an extended drive to be sure. My post fix test drive was just around the block and included about five 1-2 shifts

#7 ·
So, going on 3 yrs later, do we have any more info on this?

'99 SHO drops hard from first to second when it's cold.
Once its warm is shifts smooth.

Based on several other posts it seems like a lot of people have settled on "it's just characteristic" and doesn't indicate any problems.

I plan on flushing it and changing the filter this spring. I WANT to add a cooler, but I've been dragging my feet on that one for a while now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.