Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Trouble, Install Costs?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  firespirit 
#1 ·
after the heat stopped working, still can't get it to work. I now have problems with my alternator and it looks like the tensioner is due for a replacement too.

any idea how much a shop would charge to install an alternator, serpentine belt and the tensioner?

#2 ·
I don't know the exact book time for the labor involved with the alternator, but I imagine it's around 2-3 hours. You should not be charged for more than an additional hour to install the tensioner and belt at the same service. So roughly 4 hours is my guess, plus the cost of parts.

The alternator replacement on the Duratec is considerably more difficult than many other vehicles.

#7 ·
Could be worse. My alternator seized up.

One of the bolts was seized into the block. New one is on now. The longer mount shown is now shorter, attached differently. Some of the bolt was still sticking out, so a coupler was screwed on, and a bolt added. Might have to take some pictures of the new attachments, if I can get to it. Alternator only had 223,500 miles on it.

List on a new alt is $280-300, $75 core charge.

#8 ·
Could be worse. My alternator seized up.

One of the bolts was seized into the block. New one is on now. The longer mount shown is now shorter, attached differently. Some of the bolt was still sticking out, so a coupler was screwed on, and a bolt added. Might have to take some pictures of the new attachments, if I can get to it. Alternator only had 223,500 miles on it.

List on a new alt is $280-300, $75 core charge.
[/b]
223k miles? mine had 80k when it died !@#$ this car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.