Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh:
I checked the engine codes for the first time today since getting my Taurus (have had it approx 3 months) These are the results...
KOEO- 17(RPM below self test limit)
118(Engine coolant temp sensor above maximum voltage / 0 to -40 indicated)
452(Vehicle speed sensor [vss] signal fault)
634(Manual lever position sensor voltage higher or lower than expected or a/c on
656(Converter clutch control [ccc] continuous slip error)

I also did a KOER (key on engine running) and had no codes come up!

Most of the codes are easy for me to fix or explain why they were on but the 656 code has me a bit concerned as I know these trannys have their issues... is this telling me to change the converter right away or ? will this harm the tranny?

I have added a 22,000GVW rating tranny cooler (tru-cool low pressure drop) and have also put in a 180 thermostat that works great on the highway but in town the fan still turns on to late for my liking is there a way to get it to turn on earlier? is there a way to put in a different sending unit to trick the computer into turning the fan on at a lower temp or will I have to wait until I get a computer chip?

Any ideas you may have will be great
thanks

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Welcome to our humble abode, the :tcca:!

I'm gonna stab in the dark and say maybe the VSS fault is affecting the tranny, not sure if it has any relation to the CCC codes thrown.

The 118 code you can double-check with the voltmeter, and maybe this is why it's running hot. My '93 runs almost into the "L" in "normal", but my '95 goes to around the "N" and the '01, the "O". I'm beginning to wonder if there's a trick I missed when I rebuilt the cooling system on the gold car, or if it just needs a good flushing/cleaning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response TrueBlue.
The 118 code didnt have me worried cause about a month ago I had a heater hose blow on me and in the process of fixing it I had accidently unplugged the sending unit so I kinda figured the problem there was for that reason!
As for the reason that I want the car to run cooler is to extend the life of the transmission (Before the thermostat replacement and tranny cooler the tranny was "problematic" after parking with the engine running for 5 or so minutes the tranny would stick in first gear and not shift into any of the other drive gears and on the highway I would sometimes not get it to shift into overdrive!) and because in the summer here gets quite hot... I just personally prefer to have the car run a bit cooler too. Thats why I want to know if theres a way to trick the car into turning the fan on earlier (other than turning on the a/c... It works :) )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trout,
im guessing 118 came from you unplugging the ECT, and the 634 probably came up because you had the a/c on while you did the test or maybe you were in the wrong gear or your shift linkage is out or your MLPS is out to lunch, id quick figure out what the cause of the 634 is but you're right - id be most concerned with the VSS code and the convertor clutch code...my reccomendation would be to deal with the VSS fault before the convertor clutch fault (chances are that it needs a new VSS sensor - not uncommon for an AXODE) obviously least intrusive tests/repairs first...good luck
:blink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts