Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2002 Taurus (Vulcan) has started running alittle roughly when first cranked. After about 30 seconds, it smooths out doesn't have any problem until you crank it the next time. This problem occurs whether it is cold or hot.

The plugs have about 70K on them. I ohmed out the sparkplug wires and they were all within reason. I worked the crankshaft sensor connector back and forth and made sure it is seated properly.

I hooked the scanner up and read these trouble codes: P0300 and P0316. I know that P0300 is for random/multiple cylinder misfire detected and P0316 is engine misfire detected on startup (first 1,000 revolutions).

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of these codes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just went through a similar problem with my '01 taurus with 85k. It turned out to be a #1 bad plug wire. It had hit the exhaust manifold and burned through. I had to remove the wire in order to find the problem. Originally thought it might be the coil, spark plug or fuel injector. If it has been a while since you had a tune up, change the plugs and wires. With the price of gas, it can only help. Also check the coil pack. lossen it and look under it for cracks. Also check the black plastic on top and along the sides.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talking around the office this morning. Someone wondered if one of the heated O2 sensors might have a burned out heating element. If it were sending out bogus data until it warmed up due to the exhayst, could that cause the rough running initially but then smooth out as the sensor heated up? All four sensors are original - 151K miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts