Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Taurus GL Vulcan and I think I have a transmission problem and was wondering if someone could help me. Whenever I am at a constant speed for a while and left off the gas, it sounds like my trasmission makes a thud sound like the gears are catching or something. It can be felt and heard. It's not really loud, but you can hear it. Can someone help me understand why it does that and what I can do to stop it. Thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Worn bushings, maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
That could even be a motor mount. Pop the hood, set the parking brake and start up the car. Now, with your foot on the brake pedal, slowly shift from P to R, then N to D, and back again, while watching the engine for excessive movement. If it moves more than an inch or so, you have a bad mount.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I took it to a transmission shop and they found that 3 of the 4 Transmission mounts were broken off. it was a 500 buck fix most expence rubber and metal things oN EARTH!!!!! :angry:

·
Registered
156 Posts
huh?
most expence rubber and metal things on earth?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You got ripped! There's only 3 motor mounts and only one motor mount for the tranny. And that wouldn't cost more than $150 (for the tranny mount) if it was the most expensive one you bought.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Did anyone ever think it could be the torque converter letting go. If your cruising at a constant speed the converter locks up to help with fuel economy, when u let off the gas, it releases and starts spinning again. Someone please help me out if I am giving misguided info.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
156 Posts
You're right. That's how the torque converter works, so if it's really jarring the car, maybe the converter itself is going out. If I were you, I'd take it to a honest transmission shop that someone refers you to (some small private place), and have them check it out with this information. They may can just replace the torque converter before it screws up more of the tranny. I'd do it as soon as you can, also.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Jun 27 2004, 05:31 PM
You're right.  That's how the torque converter works, so if it's really jarring the car, maybe the converter itself is going out.  If I were you, I'd take it to a honest transmission shop that someone refers you to (some small private place), and have them check it out with this information.  They may can just replace the torque converter before it screws up more of the tranny.  I'd do it as soon as you can, also.
IMHO, if the shop is in there to swap out the TC, a full rebuild ain't gonna cost much more than that. A shift kit won't be much more money either, and it will help your tranny last longer until the next rebuild. :grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts