Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Bull w/4x, 165000 miles. Went to exit off interstate and at the bottom of the ramp the transmission asked like it was in neutral. Fluid level is right and looks and smell of fuild OK. It will not go into any gear. Has anyone had this problem?

Doug Carwile

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sounds like the pump shaft failed. If this is the case the fluid level will be the same with the engine off and running. It may be possible to change the shaft by removing the side cover and pump cover, however the torque converter splines wear also, so you may need to change it.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
A cracked forward clutch piston is also common. Do you still have reverse? If not I would be inclined to think the pump shaft as mentioned earlier. If you have reverse but no forward then more than likely the forward clutch piston is cracked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i could be completely wrong, but i will say this from my own experience. i hit something in the road and busted my trans pan. which caused all the fluid to run completely out of the trans. and i guess there is some kind of sensor in there that will not let you put it into any gear if there is no fluid, but you can still move the shifter. maybe check your fluid levels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally, it took 5 days and 1400 sign-ins to get back. I have done everything but pull the tranny, that's next. I think everyone for your suggestion and have looked at mine and they just done fitthe bill. I'm sure it must be the from pump/torch convertor. I've babied this for a long time but I'm not sure if I should keep or sale. I'll let everyone know the out come. Thanks

Doug Carwile
97 Bull

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Finally, it took 5 days and 1400 sign-ins to get back. I have done everything but pull the tranny, that's next. I think everyone for your suggestion and have looked at mine and they just done fitthe bill. I'm sure it must be the from pump/torch convertor. I've babied this for a long time but I'm not sure if I should keep or sale. I'll let everyone know the out come. Thanks

Doug Carwile
97 Bull
Well, the pump shaft is about $20, and a rebuilt TC is about $100 if you need it. If you pull it yourself it would not be that expensive to fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.