1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2007 Taurus SEl / AX4N
105,000 miles

Fluid & transmission filter last :unsure:changed by dealer at 80,000

Owner manual calls for fluid & filter change at 60,000 mile intervals. Many of you are changing at 30,000. Do I need to change at 30k? Definitely want to keep the car going as it is in top notch condition.

SUP

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
105,000 miles

Owner manual calls for fluid & filter change at 60,000 mile intervals. Many of you are changing at 30,000. Do I need to change at 30k? Definitely want to keep the car going as it is in top notch condition.

SUP
I start watching my trans fluid @ 30,000 and depending on how I am driving is when I change it after that. Usually between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. I would HIGHLY recomend you install a trans cooler, that will keep you fluid changes in the higher milage range. These cars are known to let the trans run hot, they need to run cool to live longer, heat will cause an early death to the trans.

·
Registered
211 Posts
105,000 miles

SUP
24k to 30k is a good range to change fluid and filter just to be safe especially if you dont have a trans cooler and/or idle alot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Change your ATF fluid to Mobil 1 Synthetic

Which will help, Greatly with Internal Transmission Cleanliness and Cooling.

30K is a perfect interval. Unless A Taxicab or Police Application.

If you've got Buckets of Money, Redline Synthetic ATF is about the Finest
on the Market.

(Don't forget your Power Steering Fluid change intervals...I swapped mine to
Mobil 1 Mercon V ATF also.)

[Nag,Nag,Nag]

The 60K mile interval is Not a Real World Figure...Ford ,like almost all manufacturers,
has a Two Stage maintenance system.What they term a Severe Duty Interval is
ACTUALLY what you and I drive.A mix of urban and highway driving.
To SAFELY qualify for the 60K Mileage Interval you'd have to only drive Highway under 60MPH.

(When was the last time you REPLACED your Brake Fluid ?)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of my driving is done on the highway and definitely not under 60mph. I have changed the power steering fluid and have used the turkey baster on the brake fluid over a few months but not sure how good that is. Will get the brake fluid changed during the summer. I had my dealer do the Transmission fluid & filter change last time, will they use the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF fluid or do you need to go somewhere else.

SUP

·
Registered
117 Posts
Atf

No Dealer or Independent will use Mobil 1 ATF (Too Expensive)
AND they've already set their machines up with "Their" brand of ATF.

They're (the Dealer) using the Ford Mercon V product which MAY have a semi-synthetic mix.
(Weakest link in the chain[mix] is the mineral oil portion.'Might as well use
straight ATF for all the protection the Ford product provides.)

I'm a DIY FANATIC,especially with ATF changes.
(Too Easy for the Dealer,Etc. to use one of the "BACK-Flush" machines and
damage your tranny.)

Suctioning out the Old Brake Fluid via the "Turkey Baster" method is good,
but you've got to follow up by bleeding the brakes at all 4 wheels.Elsewise
all the Old Brake Fluid remains in the Lines and Calipers.

I took an inexpensive chemical sprayer from Lowes and made a Power Brake Bleeder. (ALA Motive) I think I spent $20. total.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I will have to do it myself on the tranny oil / filter change. I do the oil and other maintenance but have never attempted the transmission. There is a Mobil 1 Express lube in my area. I wonder if they do the transmission fluid and filter change and would use the synthetic? The key is not to use the machine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just spoke with Brian at Exxon Quick Lube in Kingwood, TX 77339, they do transmission fluid / filter changes the correct way by disconnecting the transmission line and not using the pressure pump. I may wait until I go back to Houston to get the vehicle serviced.

SUP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts