Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 taurus with the duratec 24 valve with all the toys I bought it about six months ago and when I got on the highway the O/D off light began blinking. Since then I have researched the problem and gotten quotes on how much it would cost to replace the transmission. If anyone has any suggestions on what the problem is and any solutions please post!!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Try this. It worked for me. Machanics won't do this, but unhook your battery ground to reset the computer. Have your entire tranny flushed (including torque convertor) and prior to them filling the tranny back up with fluid, add a Magnafine in-line transmission filter. Also along with 10 bottles of Mercon V fluid, buy 2 bottles of Lucus Oil Trans Slip (this will replace 2 1/2 bottles of Mercon. You will be set to go and you're transmission should be fine. If after 6 months you have problems, you may need a new tranny. The bands my be too worn down and your torgue convertor is bad.

Always change your fluid once per year. Our coolings systems suck, so premature death is emanate.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the codes I got:
-Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio (0734)
-Shift cellunoid 3 failure (0761)
-TFT or PFT (there was a misunderstanding on what this code was so I put TFT or PFT) Sensor Circuit high input (0713)
-EPC Cellunoid open circuit (1746)
-TP Circuit Performance problem (0121)

When I went to a mechanic they cleared all the open circuit codes but if you can make sense of these then I will gladly accept the help.

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
There is a plug on top of the tranny that controls all these functions. Unplug and clean it making sure it is seated correctly. It is located under the TB and to the rear of the engine compartment a bit and is sticking up.

Sounds like the fluid may have gotten too hot. This is usually what the OD light means when flashing and you are still able to move.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyway, does anyone know where i could get a cheap rebuild in or around New Hampshire the cheapest I found is $1400 with a lifetime warranty.

G

·
Originally posted by magiceye@Aug 1 2004, 01:56 PM
Anyway, does anyone know where i could get a cheap rebuild in or around New Hampshire the cheapest I found is $1400 with a lifetime warranty.
That isn't a bad deal, especially the lifetime warranty part! I've never heard of a lifetime warranty transmission! B)

Do you have an AAMCO near you? I've always heard good things about them. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah there's an AAMCO and I've checked and they want a lot more than that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.