Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '08 SEL has 94k on it. For the last 25,000 miles it's had issues on long drives with the transmission slipping. Usually around the 60 - 70mph mark. It happens more frequently if I use the cruise control.

The issue is intermittant but the first sign that it's about to act up is that the speedometer starts jumping around with no fluctuation in actual speed. The next thing that happens is the car loses the ability to accelerate despite the fact that the engine revs. These symptoms are followed by clunks in the transmission. I inevitably pull over to the shoulder and "reboot" the car. Turning it off then on again makes most of the issue go away for quite a while. This is obviously something in the electronics... just wondering if anyone else has actually experienced this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
'08 Taurus X Trans fear & Loathing

My '08 Taurus X is suffering from some similar intermittent trany brain farts.
2nd time this year that it wouldn't "go" when placed in drive. Just barely moved along. (Restart remedied situation. reboot of trans program)
"Wrench" warning lit up on dash both times. After the first time (110K km) took it to shop and had fresh Dextron V pumped into the trans.
(sealed unit with No serviceable filter)
No issues for nearly a year and then once again a low speed, no go, Wrench lit situation. (130K km) Again shut it off. re-lit the burner and away she goes.
Will have to look into the TSB 08.26.13. and see if it is a fix which applies to my vehicle. After looking into some blogs on the trans, discovered Ford/GM share this unit in all their Full sized platforms. Too big to fail has been proven weak logic in the recent past so am a little nervous. Certainly hope this is not a harbinger of things to come as I was planning to drive the wheels off this thing and with only 130K km it is just broke in.
(small pun)
Love the car but will need to cross 300K km to impress me. My '81 Mustang with the 200ci straight six, Auto, single barrel carb. had 480K km when I sold it and had never needed any serious service. Engine was tight and didn't burn any oil. Would still do 120mph and I nearly cried when it was time to say goodbye. Taurus X you have a lot to live up to.:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts