Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 Vulcan is just about ready to hit 60k miles, and a few weeks ago I noticed the transmission making a high pitched gear whining noise when going about 80 on the highway. I usually don't drive that fast (couple times a month) so this could have been going on for a while for all I know. The noise is kind of quiet, but I can hear it over some talk radio and the wind noise associated with that speed. Happens with torque converter locked or unlocked, ac compressor on or off. But as soon as the trans downshifts from OD (from getting on the gas heavy) or if I let off the gas completely and take the load off the trans the noise goes away.

I've had the car since 14k miles and the trans has always been fine, even to this day. I have taken good care of it and always keep clean fresh fluid in it.

Should I worry? The noise is identical to the high pitched gear whine noise my 07 Civic Si made before Honda had to take the trans apart and replace some gears.

Knowing how delicate these transmissions can be, I figured I should ask here and see if anyone else has heard something similar.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
68 Posts
My '99 SE with a Duratec and the AX4N tranny started to experience a whining noise on a near-constant basis at 64,000 miles. I had to have my tranny rebuilt to resolve the issue. It cost me $2,300 about 5 years ago - and that include replacing the torque converter as well.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long was it making the noise for before you got it rebuilt?

Did you rebuild it just to get rid of the noise, or did it totally fail first?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts