Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: I wrote in about 2 wks ago and I want to thank everyone for their help unfortunately I ended up having to take my car to a mechanic. I am 5 months pregnant and I really know nothing about cars or mechanics can anyone tell me if I got screwed on this. I was charged $300 for them to do a diagnostic on the transmission where they had to take it apart apparently to see what was wrong they said it was a cracked piston and wanted to charge me $2400 to fix it or $2000 plus labor to replace so ichecked around and got a quote of $1000 from another shop to rebuild it. Now I told the place that did the diagnosis to put it back and I would have a wrecker come and get it they told me it was going to be $280 to put the transmission back on so i'm thinking $580 plus tax maybe $630 I get there and it was 702.00 so is this normal, can they charge me twice to do nothing? please help me if you know anyone who is a mechanic or are one yourself i thought a diagnosis meant the y tell you whats wrong and if you decline the service than they have to put your car back together no charge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
here in ohio there is a shop that does free diagnostic for trans, and another shop
charges $75, for full diagn, so yea it sounds alittle out of line, i would tell them
then don't put it back on and just have it picked up as is, or i would pay w/credit
card and dispute the payment later, let them sue you, they would not win.
sounds like a screw job to me, i guess in the future, try to do your
research by phone before you go there, to find someone who won't rip
you, i spent 3 days on the phone before i made a decision on my trans,
and it was do it myself.
good luck, dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
i forgot to mention, if you belong to pre-paid legal, they make phone
calls, and send letters for you for free, that might also be an angle.
sometimes w/threat of a lawsuit, they will just let it go. the cost for
pre-paid is about $15 a month, and it has paid for itself many times
w/me.
dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice dave but unfortunately we already picked it up and they we paid in cash. Believe me I was thinking of writing a check and than putting a stop payment on it but they said only cash or charge and I don't have a credit card. so i just don't know if they did anything illegal or not if they this is illegal i'll take them to small claims court but if its all legal i'm just a poor fool. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts