Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everybody. I guess I'll make my first post a thread question. I have a 1996 Taurus with the measly 145 hp motor backed by the automatic transmission (non of these come with standards right?). Well one day it decided to start "slipping" which I am acustomed to the transmissions going out on these cars easily (I have owned at least 4 SHO's and 3 regular Taurus's in my life and it is always the first thing to go out).

I drove it around for a few more days until finally not only did I lose over drive but could not get it out of first. I parked it the next day needless to say. Not only for a few days but for about 2 to 3 weeks I left it sitting in the drive way and had a blast making my 500+ hp WS6 as my daily driver. Well now something happened to my WS6 making my misery worsen as the thought of what the heck am I going to drive now? I also have a 1995 Buick I got for $500 but it is more hideous than the Taurus.

I decided what the heck let's see how the Taurus is doing because I only have to drive about 7 miles down the road to work and I'll just drive it slow or burn up the tranny completely. I babied it out of the drive way, 15, shift, 40? shift, above 55, shift! I could not believe what I was experiencing. The car acted like nothing was wrong with it. I felt it was a coy. The car is going to wait until I am about 20 miles away from home before conking out on me right? Well I drove it to my other job which is about 20 miles away, I babied it, and it shifted all ok.

My question to you folks is, have you ever experienced this? Is this a common thing with these transmission? I have never had that happen to me in the 20 cars I've owned in my life let alone about 7 Taurus's. Maybe something got stuck in a valve etc etc etc? I have not yet studied all the threads about the transmissions but just wanted to cut to the chase while I am researching what you people have had wrong with these cars.

I know this was almost a book to read but I thank each and every one of you for any mature comment or input that you have.

Have a good evening!

E. Stewart.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
You might have had some junk get stuck in the valve body. (Or your VSS is going bad, see below.)

I put a previously-used transmission cooler on my car and it had some problems similar to yours. I called the guy who rebuilt my transmission (since it was still in warranty) and he had me put in some Lucas Transmission Oil Conditioner. He said it was to get whatever junk was in there to move down to the filter/magnet.

Long story short: it worked. Your transmission may have been having some similar problems and the stuff finally worked itself past the valve body. Odds are that it will probably return again.

On another note, my VSS was going out at about the same time so shifting was erratic at best. I replaced the VSS first, and then I did the Lucas stuff. Kind of stinks when more than one thing goes at a time. (Makes troubleshooting difficult.)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
how many mile and when was fluid changed

maybe still red but doest remove all th eeat from the tranny itself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts