Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many may know my bull got smooshed in the rear quite bad earlier this year. It is definatley not feesible or within my realm of body repair (namely cutting off a rear end and welding in a new one) to fix it. I have found two 94 bulls with blown transmissions and the vulcan engine. My current 93 has about 60k on it with a vulcan (one set of rings is bad, damn nitrous) and a great transmission. I am going to get one of these bulls and put my tranny in it, the real quesiton is am I able to drop the transaxle in a 2nd gen bull without pulling the engine?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Yeah, it's possible, but you'll need a horse to support the engine from (also called an engine support) and a lift to raise the car, since you'll be dropping the subframe to drop the tranny out. The other alternative would be to remove the engine and transaxle assembled, and separate them outside the engine bay, though I'm sure you already know this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used a 4X4, two small blocks of wood, and two (2) chains to support the engine during a tranny pull.

Put the 4X4 accross both fenders centered accross the engine (best if the 4X4 is long enough to stick out about 2 ft on both sides. Chains over the 4X4 and connecting to the engine. There are some unused threaded bolt holes you can use... Once the chains are on snug, loosen the motor & transmission mount bolts. Now, your sholder under the end of the 4X4, lift gently and slide a block of wood between the inner fender and the 4X4. Do that on both sides.

Now everything will be easy to deal with including the subframe removal. Don't forget to remove the two rack bolts a support it (with a strap or something) too.

If you haven't done this before, you better plan on at least a full day for (each) removal and a full day to install.
Be sure you read/know the (manual) procedures beforehand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts