Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i have two tauruses. both have the same engine, 3.0 EFI with 12 valves.

the 1995 one ahs a blown head, but a very good transmission that was just rebuilt. the 1999 has some transmission problems.

i am asking whether there is a change for me to fit the older transmission in the newer car.

i don't want to spend the whole weekend removing transmissions just to find out that it can not be done.

thanks,
radu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (rudedog @ Mar 26 2009, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712728
No, will not work, your 95 is OBDI/EECIV, your 99 is OBDII, non compatible.[/b]

i'm pretty sure the problem with my newer transmission is mechanical, not electrical. so my intention is to replace the mechanical part only (main body) while keeping the wiring harness in place.

even doing it this way won't work?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Find a transmission guru... there are a couple here who are trained on Ford trannies. The closer you get to the present day, the more transmissions are electronically controlled. But the mechanical guts might be the same, requiring a swap of the valve body and/or any other electrical/electronic components.

The biggest consideration is that Ford would have had no problem in altering casting geometry and/or post-casting machining to accommodate larger or smaller internal components.

You don't give your location. I have a 98 Vulcan and AX4N embedded in a rusty wagon (has good axles, the right engine control unit, etc. to swap from an AX4S) in the Boston area, see my posts in For Sale (via my club profile).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Mar 27 2009, 01:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712789
Find a transmission guru... there are a couple here who are trained on Ford trannies. The closer you get to the present day, the more transmissions are electronically controlled. But the mechanical guts might be the same, requiring a swap of the valve body and/or any other electrical/electronic components.

The biggest consideration is that Ford would have had no problem in altering casting geometry and/or post-casting machining to accommodate larger or smaller internal components.

You don't give your location. I have a 98 Vulcan and AX4N embedded in a rusty wagon (has good axles, the right engine control unit, etc. to swap from an AX4S) in the Boston area, see my posts in For Sale (via my club profile).[/b]

thanks, but unfortunately i'm in los angeles. i'll see what other options might i have...

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (bavareze @ Mar 27 2009, 01:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712793
thanks, but unfortunately i'm in los angeles.[/b]
Yikes - hard to get further away...

A trusthworthy boneyard or careful craigslist shopping might be your friend, for a crunched 99, or one with a blown engine. The obvious problem with the latter is that you have to take the seller's word on the tranny condition...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts