Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a problem with my Taurus. I've had this car for 3 years and at some occasions I would get a small stutter/shake but nothing too bad. Now it's getting intense...

When? From stop to any speed. It stutter only at really low speed.

It's especially bad in 2 conditions:
1- Starting in an ascending slope
2- Starting with the wheels turned
Or a combinaison of those 2.

If the car is cold, it's usually fine. After many stop-n-go it starts getting really sensitive. When it's in the "bad state" I have 2 choices to avoid a big shake: either start REALLY slow or press the brake, press the gas then remove the brake...

When it's in the "bad state" it keeps bugging until you wait a few hours without driving.

The car has 182000km (113000 miles), it's the original fluid.

Bad fluid? Dead torque converter? Bad sensor? Any fix, solution?

Thanks in advance!

JF

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Might check/replace oss (output shaft speed sensor) aka vss (vehicle speed sensor). I would definitely at least do a tranny pan drop fluid and filter change with mercon v atf. Reuse the original pan gasket. Recommended fluid and filter change ea. 30k mi.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
sounds like tc shutter. a fluid change will help. depending on how bad it is.
before all is said..... what does the rpms doing during all of this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 2002 Taurus with a Vulcan OHV engine that did this and I had ford do a flush and fill with Mercon 5 it did not help the shutter.
Then I put in a tube of the mr trany fix and it did not help the shutter.
Then I replaced the camshaft position assembly and the shutter was gone.
I think you should replace the trany fluid due to age and mileage.
Make sure you get mercon 5 put back in.
Also while driving down the road keep you foot on the gas and tap the brake.
Watch your rpm go up as you tap the brake and go back down after no brake tap.
This is your torque converter un locking with brake indication and locking back up without brake indication.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree the fluid should have been changed at least twice by now, but I wonder if this actually isn't a driveability problem/engine miss and not a TC shudder. TC chatter is generally worse when upshifting to higher gears at low RPM under low-medium throttle. Low engine RPM (low transmission fluid pressure) + medium throttle demand = highest chance of TC chatter/slippage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello!

I had the car checked in a garage yesterday. The check engine was on, but it is not related to the transmission.

They told me that I need a new transmission... but I don't want to invest that much in this car.

=> Can the Vehicle Speed Sensor be bad event if there is no code?
=> Is there anything I can do to avoid changing the tranny but reduce the problem?

I wonder if changing the ATF would be useful, the mechanics isn't convinced that it will be useful.

I ordered some Dr. Tranny online, I'll test this in a couple days.

Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Does anyone here think it could be an IAC problem? the reason why is the wheel is turned and if the idle is not adjusted properly it can cause a hesitation / stumble.

What were your Check engine codes ?? That will point us in the right direction.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Fwiw, ive never had a vss code for the 5-6 failed ones ive changed on gen3 tecs. Just slipping 1-2 shifts when warmed up and other erratic shift points.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Does anyone here think it could be an IAC problem? the reason why is the wheel is turned and if the idle is not adjusted properly it can cause a hesitation / stumble.

What were your Check engine codes ?? That will point us in the right direction.
this is worth checking into.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Do the fluid change and see what happens before dumping a ton of cash at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello!

The exact code is P044s Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak).

Is it easy to change the VSS? Do you have any good tutorial? Used part source?

Have a good evening,

JF

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Hello!

The exact code is P044s Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak).

Is it easy to change the VSS? Do you have any good tutorial? Used part source?

Have a good evening,

JF
OK for Evap Em small leak.
Do the easy check first.

See pic.

This was my problem, and not the gas cap as is often suspect. This is obvious. I went to the pick a part yard and only found one. Others look like the one in the pic. So this is not uncommon.

-chart-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did a code check. says map sensor problem or maf sensor problem. I replaced the map sensor. It did not fix the problem. I don't know if I should invest the $150 for a new maf sensor with the same results. It also could be transmission shudder. I think I will take it in for repair.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You said you replaced maf sensor and it didn't do any good.

Then you said you don't know if you should invest 150 bucks for it, if it won't work.

Didn't you already buy it?

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
You said you replaced maf sensor and it didn't do any good.

Then you said you don't know if you should invest 150 bucks for it, if it won't work.

Didn't you already buy it?
He said he replaced teh MAP not the MAF. Changing the MAF is going to do nothing for an evap leak. You might as well bring it to a mechanic if your plans are throwing parts at it. At least you might be able to get it fixed without wasting money. BTW... there is no suck code as a P044s...... they will be P, and 4 numbers

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
You could try Dr. Tranny's shudder fix. it worked on my 97 Thunderbird for years and i think the company's name is Lubegard..Drain the trans of all fluid of have a professional do it and if that don't work then add the additive noted above ;)...here i found it for ya'

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Dr.+Tranny+Instant+Shudder+Fixx

You could try this too... I myself use synthetic Mobil one trans oil:

For best overall performance and long term transmission benefit, use LUBEGARD® ATF Protectant. It is approved, endorsed & designated for use to correct problems associated with automatic transmissions, including shudder problems, by major car manufacturers (OEM’s). It’s also the #1 product used in the professional transmission repair industry.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Baadog1, your 04 wagon doesn't have a map (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. It does have a maf (mass air flow) sensor. If you use the Lubegard, get the "green" for mercon v applications.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts