Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I really need some help. I have a 1999 ford taurus with a 3.0 vulcan engine and automatic column shift transmission. Last night I parked it in the garage, came out this morning to go to work and it started and runs fine, but it will not come out of park. I figured out how to bypass it (turn the key to the first notch, put it in neutral and start it). Then I found out the windows, dome light, rear defrost, trunk button, wipers, radio, and speedometer do not work. I checked every fuse I could, checked the brake switch, and decided it might be the GEM module. I went to a u-pull it junk yard and got a different GEM with the correct part numbers on it. Still the same thing. I'm ready to pull my hair out, I cannot figure this out! Possible broken wire in the wiring harness? Hard to believe that it just does it out of the blue with no intermittent problems first leads me to believe that it's not a broken wire. PLEASE HELP, anybody heard of this before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to try the trs sensor, but it seems to be operational. It will only start in park or neutral.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I think I'm going to try the trs sensor, but it seems to be operational. It will only start in park or neutral.
It's partly operational. The problems you describe are all classic TRS failure symptoms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, replaced the trs, still doing the same thing. Might have to get the wiring schematics and start tracing wires. Any body know if I can find them on the net?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even replaced the ignition switch after speaking with an ex-ford mechanic. Still nothing. Anybody have any other ideas? Is there a relay that sends power to the gem that I am missing?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
SIL solenoid failure? Check for power to the solenoid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am happy to say that I figured it out. Took the inner fender well out, and tore into the wiring harness and found a brown wire with a black stripe that was bad. Thanks to everybody for trying to help, it does help to have a support group.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts