Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Taurus GL, 3.8L with 125K miles, automatic transmission.

When I put it in reverse after a few miles of driving, it feels like reverse is slipping because I have to rev the engine fairly high and even then it just crawls back very slowly. This has happened consistently the last 5 or more times upon getting home from my 8 mile commute from work when I back into my parking spot.

It doesn't happen when the car is cold ever. This just started recently, never had problems with transmission before. Fluid level is fine, I checked it twice in the last few days.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
BMagnusen

·
Registered
285 Posts
What is the condition of the fluid? Does it smell burnt? Could you put a drop of the fluid onto a clean, white paper towel and post a picture of it maybe?

Probably what will have to be done, is have a technician connect a pressure guage to the port on the transaxle and see what the fluid pressure is doing. That will give a clue as to what is going on inside the transaxle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to get a picture of it (will have to borrow digital camera). It looks ok to me, reddish color. I didn't smell it though.

Also, sometimes when the car is warmed up it doesn't slip in reverse, seems to be about 50/50.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts