Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of a problem with my trans. It acts fine except under three conditions, which are right before I come to a complete stop, free rolling (letting the car roll in gear with no gas applied), and upon initial acceleration. When I come to a stop, it shudders right before the car stops completely, it also shudders when it rolls freely and when I first press the gas. However if I press on the gas hard enough it slips. Once it gets going though the trans. acts just fine, and it doesn't shudder when put in gear with the parking brake on. Anybody know what's causing it to do this at such a small moving speed? So far my only guess is a bad torque converter. I thought maybe first gear but it is a little shaky in reverse as well. By any chance anyone might have a diagram of all the solenoids? Trans. is an AX4N.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sounds like low pump pressure. The torque converter needs pressure to unlock. Start wiith checking the fluid level. How long since a fluid and filter change? Could be a clogged filter. These transmissions have issues with pump shaft failures.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Fluid and filter was changed around a year ago, so they are pretty new. The pump has already been replaced once, a few years ago. The speedometer doesn't seem to be acting up but I could pay a little more attention to it. I noticed today its not as bad with the trans. running cold, after it heats up it acts up more. Will check the level in the daytime when I can. Checked it last night with a phone camera light and the fluid looked a little brown, might have been because it was dark out though.

Update: The fluid level is good, but it looks a little discolored. It's sort of brown, maybe more of a mixture between red and orange. It slips up more in OD than in D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts