Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 Taurus OHV, AX4N with 250,000 miles. I've had the car since 70K and have had no major problems. I've changed the Tran Fluid 3 times (2nd was a flush). A month ago it started slipping out of gear at stops about 90% of the time. Shifting into neutral and back will usually do the trick. If not then shifting it into Park and back will. No other slippage problems. The third fluid change was right after this started happening with no effect. Could it be a sensor problem or is it just dying of old age? Transmission shop said they will check it out, just haven't been able to get to them as I am out of town alot. Just trying to get a feel for it first.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I've heard of this happening to other Taurus / Sable owners before, I know there's a few other posts about this on the board. I can't remember exactly what is wrong but I believe one of the shift pistons has cracked, but I can't recall if that causes a dropping out of gear when stopped condition or just causes the trans to not want to shift to 2nd.

Either way I believe the trans is on it's way out. How often is it happening now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It slips out at almost all stop signs and red lights. Sometimes you can feel it slip out as you slow down to stop, sometimes after you come to a complete stop. Everything else seems to work fine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Probably you can try Lucas Transmission Fix, know to be a good product for $10.
You can read testimonials at lucasoil.com

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
IIRC, it was the aluminum forward clutch piston what would crack, however i think that was only on gen 2's. They updated the piston to a steel one to fix the issue, and i'm pretty sure by gen 3, that problem was gone. Unfortunately, a problem like that is likely going to be internal to the tranny, like a damaged seal, and not just as simple or cheap as a sensor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 97 GL that this happened with...had to have a full rebuild. It was the forward clutch piston, as mentioned above, as well as the waffle/wave plate (what the guy at the shop called it) had disintegrated. There were also some needle bearing that were completely gone...that was at 215,000-It's got 226,000 now, and still running great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts