Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys. I was going to work the other day and had the cruise set at 58 mph. Halfway up a steep hill, the rpm's jumped from an even 2 grand to like 2,200 and the car made a short revving noise. Almost like it downshifted and upshifted really quickly.

I'm pretty sure it was the tranny slipping. I'm wondering though, if a fluid/filter change may not help it out? I bought the car with 75k on it and it's got 100,600 miles now and I've never changed it. Don't know when the last time it was changed was, either.

Would a fluid/filter change help? If the tranny goes, there's no way I'm dropping 2 grand into it. Are there any preventive measures I can take? How much does a tranny cooler cost?

Also, what would a shift kit do for the car?

I know that's a lot of questions, but if the slippage can be stopped w/out major rebuilds I'd obviously like to do it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So clean fluid and filter would be bad? The slippage only happens in overdrive. and only on hills. if its a flat road, there's not a single problem. and it only does it sometimes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check your fluid first. With the car hot and idling in Park, check the transmission dipstick. If you have fluid within the hatch marks that is red in color, then the fluid is not your problem. However, if the dipstick doesn't read any fluid in the hatch marks, that could be your only problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. Wife has the car at work now, but I'll be sure to check it when she gets home and let you all know.

Thanks...I have a tendancy to overlook the simple things and go straight to, "Ohmygod my tranny is blowing up!".

What would I do w/out TCCA?

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Making sure the fluid level is correct is probably the easiest thing to do now. As for changing the fluid, that's a 50/50 mix. I've heard of stories where it didn't help and there are stories where that's all that was needed. It's just a risk you're going to have to take. All I can say is that if changing the fluid causes it to die completely, it was probably too far gone anyway to save.

During the cold winters, my tranny was slipping going into second as it started up, once it warmed up, it was fine. Changed the fluid and it stopped the slipping.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well all I can say watch out with that liquid in the tranny ... check the transmission fluid if its low of liquid try to put more until you see its reaches the amount it needs in there ... but also if your tranny its slipping try to not accelerate the car very hard or quick that will make it worth it trust me. I had the same issues that your are having now because I was driving with no transmission liquid ( yeah I know stupid me I didnt check) :punchbob: and while I getting out from work to my house like @ 1:25am I noticed something and the gear wont move at all. Had to take the car to get the tranny rebuilt. Therefore try to avoid what happened to me so it wont happen to you. trust me.

Frank.

Reactions: marinab

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Cruise control up steep hills acts the way you describe. The cruise isn't as smart as a person and doesn't know its going up a hill, it only realizes that it isn't doing the speed you set all of a sudden. It tries to compensate for the lower speed by giving the engine more RPM all at once rather then gradually like people would. The situation isn't made better by the transmission because it is hunting for the correct gear and shifting up and down. It really isn't a great idea to use cruise up and down hills all the time. If you are driving up and down steep hills it is a good idea to put your tranny in a lower gear. It never hurts to make sure your transmission fluid level is correct either. ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Kermitec@Jun 27 2004, 06:28 PM
Cruise control up steep hills acts the way you describe. The cruise isn't as smart as a person and doesn't know its going up a hill, it only realizes that it isn't doing the speed you set all of a sudden. It tries to compensate for the lower speed by giving the engine more RPM all at once rather then gradually like people would.
True...but it's never done it before. Perhaps it's just low fluid combined with that...I dont know. It only does it in overdrive and only on hills, and even then not all of the time. Sometimes it'll cruise right up the hill, others it'll slip from 2k to 22 or 23k three or four times.

Thanks though, because the best way to solve a problem is to look at it from every possible angle. I'll check the fluid and see what happens. I live in South Eastern Ohio, in the Apalachains, so it gets hilly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay. Just checked the fluid. It's a light brown color and is just below the hash marks. I'd just driven 40 miles to get a tire to fix the tire problem I described in another post, so the engine and tranny were hot.

Again, the fluid is a light brown and is just below the hatch marks. Need a fluid change? Seems like it to me, but I'd like the additional input.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, Drop the pan and change the filter and the amount of fluid that you lost into a catch pan. When refilling use Synthetic Mobile One transmission fluid as this will raise the Transmissions ability to withstand more heat. After you have warmed the transmission up by driving and have the fluid at the top of the cross hatch marks add one more pint of fluid and then remark the stick at that level. This is one of the few transmissions that can be run a little high on fluid which helps it compensate for slosh in turns.

Kreth McKee
McBuilt Transmissions

Also a Taurus owner with 205000+ on this one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yep; change it.
Simple job, but make sure that you/they get the torque converter too. If they/you don't, it's like changing your engine oil without changing the oil filter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX+Jun 27 2004, 08:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LoadedLX @ Jun 27 2004, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kermitec@Jun 27 2004, 06:28 PM
Cruise control up steep hills acts the way you describe. The cruise isn't as smart as a person and doesn't know its going up a hill, it only realizes that it isn't doing the speed you set all of a sudden.  It tries to compensate for the lower speed  by giving the engine more RPM all at once rather then gradually like  people would.
True...but it's never done it before. Perhaps it's just low fluid combined with that...I dont know. It only does it in overdrive and only on hills, and even then not all of the time. Sometimes it'll cruise right up the hill, others it'll slip from 2k to 22 or 23k three or four times.

Thanks though, because the best way to solve a problem is to look at it from every possible angle. I'll check the fluid and see what happens. I live in South Eastern Ohio, in the Apalachains, so it gets hilly.

Thanks again. [/b][/quote]
Try going up the hill without your A/C on and then with your A/C on. If it only does it with the A/C on then your TC is unlocking to compensate for the power drain from the compressor, then when the compressor disengages TC locks back up. I don't no if the power train computer works this way, but would it be niece if being a little low on refrigerant was the only problem.

BTW I was told that if the trans fluid is still pink then drop pan fluid change is ok, but if it has turned brown then the more expensive service is needed where a machine is hooked up and all the fluid is changed.

:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I may have missed it, but does this only happen with the cruise control on?
I try not to use the cruise too much when I drive mine and I never use it to climb a hill...not with one of these transmissions.

-jr

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with everyone who's said it's a normal oocurance for it to do it up hill, especially at that low a speed.
Hop on a 10-speed, put it in 10th, and try peddling up the hill. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts