Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a long-time Taurus owner. Drove a 95 GL Vulcan up until a few months ago when the tranny finally bit the dust at 183k miles. Instead of getting it fixed I donated the car and went and got a 2001 SE Duratec with only 29k on it. I really like the car, but a few things have me concerned - maybe I got a dud or something?

The engine is much noisier than the Vulcan - but it still seems to pull smooth and strong. The biggest worry right now is the transmission. It shifts pretty smooth from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, but then it is pretty rough when it goes to OD. Even after it has downshifted out of OD for a small acceleration, it bobbles back into OD. Is this something to get checked out or to worry about or is it normal operation for a Taurus of this year?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Feb 21 2004, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, I am a long-time Taurus owner. Drove a 95 GL Vulcan up until a few months ago when the tranny finally bit the dust at 183k miles. Instead of getting it fixed I donated the car and went and got a 2001 SE Duratec with only 29k on it. I really like the car, but a few things have me concerned - maybe I got a dud or something?

The engine is much noisier than the Vulcan - but it still seems to pull smooth and strong. The biggest worry right now is the transmission. It shifts pretty smooth from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, but then it is pretty rough when it goes to OD. Even after it has downshifted out of OD for a small acceleration, it bobbles back into OD. Is this something to get checked out or to worry about or is it normal operation for a Taurus of this year?
I have a 2000 duratec and I have the same problem. I would say its pretty normal, but I would check the tranny fluid level just in case.

-Damon

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:bump:
Does anyone else have this 3-4 bobbling behavior? I checked all fluids and all seems fine and clean. When I am accelerating strong it is fine, but under 'normal' driving it bobbles into 4th instead of a smooth shift. Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, 98' Sable same problem. Took to dealership and tech. kept car for a couple of days and was finally convinced that this clunking/hiccup wasn't "normal". Researched and discovered a TB (tech. bulletin) from Ford and they replaced the OD (overdrive drum and sprocket). They also rebuilt the trans. and main control while in there under an ext. warranty. It was unbelievable the difference it made. Go to www.mycarstats.com and research bulletins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ours had a problem with shifting too. Fluid and filter change fixed it. Now if I could just get the engine to quit knocking I'd be set.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine isn't like that, but here lately i've been feeling the shifts a lot more. They've gotten a bit harder, and there's a little bit of clunking when I barely hit the gas. I went to get my oil changed and they checked the fluid and I have enough, but they said its in poor condition, but seeing as how my car is over 100k miles they cannot do the service themselves. After this, I went and asked my parents if they've ever had the fluid changed and my mother said no, my father said he thinks so <_< , but it was back around 40-50k miles, the car is now at 117,500 miles. Needless to say, it's getting taken care of either at the end of this week or early next week. Hmm....maybe I'm lucky my tranny hasn't crapped out on me?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll try a fluid and filter change first - I only have 40k on the car and I don't think the previous owner changed it at 30k per schedule. My previous Taurus had the same tranny I think, AX4N, but it never did this.

If that does not work, I guess I will try CarMax (dealer) and see if they can find something to repair under extended warranty. I will look into service bulletins, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts