Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Taurus SE, Automatic OD, column shift.
Yesterday when I went to go to park, the indicator under the speedometer will only go to N (neutral). Now my trans indicator is N is the new Park, OD is the new reverse, D is now neutral and L is Drive. I can drive it this way but need to get this fixed before my son drives it. He is autistic and things like this will cause a complete meltdown for him.
Any suggestions of what I can do?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE (reverend @ May 12 2009, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724640
Thank you![/b]

The cable may have slipped at the TRS under the hood, but if it did, the engine and transmission would probably be acting strange.

You should of under the hood and make sure the the cable has not slipped (to check to see if the TRS is adjusted properly, you can set the transmission in Park, and loosen the bolt that holds the cable to the TRS, and see if you car select another gear on the other side of Park (where there shouldn't be any more gears).

There is a string on the steering column that attaches the shift lever to the indicator needle. Sometimes the plastic pieces of the indicator assembly crack or break, and the indicator starts to indicate the wrong gear, even if the transmission is working properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts