·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this today.

Recall Alert: FORD TAURUS, MERCURY SABLE
Owner Notification Date: Dec 21, 1998
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 1800
Component Description: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:COOLING UNIT AND LINES
NHTSA Campaign Number: 98V288000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Recall Campaign: Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles equpped with the "California" emissions package, marketed in California and certain Northeastern states. An incorrect transmission oil cooler line was installed. The line contacts the antilock braking system module support bracket and over time, can wear and develop a leak.
Transmission fluid leakage onto the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter can result in a fire.

Dealers will install the appropriate transmission oil cooler line.

Owner notification is expected to begin December 21, 1998. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ford at 18003923673. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1888DASH2DOT (1-888-327-4236).

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome to 5½ years ago... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I just found your post mykej27. Where does it say anything about the torque converter? and my car was made in the Atlanta, GA plant.

Adam

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't state, but I remember reading the whole recall and it was the torque converter that was the specific reason why the recall was established. The Ford techs won't repair or replace the torque converter, but they will replace the entire transmission

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.