Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 99 Taurus Wagon with the Vulcan and AX4N. I had noticed slipping in 1-2 gears while in Overdrive. One day I decided to start out in Drive instead and then shift to Overdrive when RPM's got over 3,000. It hasn't slipped yet and I have been driving like this for a month. I'm trying to milk some more miles out of my tranny before it dies. What do you guys/gals think? Should I just rebuild(as 2 tranny shops have told me) or should I just drive it till it quits and then rebuild?
Thanks,TheWizard

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VSS change out?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. The speedometer and cruise control both work fine. Should I still try changing the VSS out.
Thanks,TheWizard

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
hi,

had same problem in my 99 wagon after the ax4n was replaced by me with
ford reman unit. it don't come with the vss, all other stuff it comes with.

takes a while, almost a week of driving, for the PCM to kick out the vss codes.

I changed it out w/o any codes.

It takes a bit of work to r/r that VSS, do it from the battery side of the car,
you'll need 1/4" metric socket with extension, universal (masking tape it so it is stiff).

You will have to lay on the top of the engine compartment and slide the socket in
place, you can't see what you are doing as it is blocked from the top by engine.
Take your time, 'Use The Force' and you will get it out shortly, then you'll know the
secret to do it another time.

you'll need to remove the plastic drive gear and move it to the new VSS, they
don't come with the gear on this model. about $20 or so.

regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VSS Remove/Replace

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely replace the VSS and see if the 1-2 shift improves in Overdrive. It's worth a shot as a rebuild costs $1800 in the Phoenix area.
TheWizard

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^+1. Out of the 5-6 ive changed out, none threw a code, only 1 had visible speedo issues and only 1 had the od off light flashing. All had slipping 1-2 shifts and a couple had other erratic tranny shift points. Iirc, retaining bolt is 10mm. And yes, 1/4 in. dr. ratchet, 2 long exts. and 10mm. socket taped together is recommended. If the new one does not indeed come with gear attached, simply pop the c-clip retainer off the old one with a sm. screwdriver and swap the gear over. Hope this solves your problem. I had 2 tranny shops suggesting rebuilds before this $20 fix. Good luck. Ps: Check the atf condition and level.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
I had the VSS fail on my '97 wagon in 2000. Replaced and hasn't failed since. But when it failed, I got a P0500 code and the speedo was going whacky (drop to ZERO on the highway, cruise wouldn't work, etc.).

My AX4S/AXOD tranny has been slipping going from 1 to 2 for 8 years now. I just accelerate slowly and smoothly to avoid the big tranny bill. Also, transfuse all your fluid. It's only about $35 to do this. Use the Ford procedure detailed on this site.

If it comes to a rebuild, I'm going to do it with mine (even as I approach 200,000 miles). It's now my 3rd vehicle, but I think it can go 300,000 miles or more. I know people with these cars with that kind of mileage. One salesman recently visited my place of work driving one with 350,000 miles on it !! They're actually very reliable cars. Just have chronic problems that you can live with. Kind of like diabetes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts