Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in today to get it checked out since the "service engine soon" light came on last night as i was coming home from work. I take it in to the mechanics and they say that im stuck in 3rd gear, and they have to take transmission apart to fix it and it will be such and such amount of dollars...

Has this happen to anybody?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Transmission problems can be common with our vehicles if you do not maintain them properly. I have not experienced this myself but i'm sure other that have will chime in. In the future bring it to AutoZone and have them run the codes for free before you have a mechanic do it. Post those codes here and we will help if we can. That way you can save some bucks and possibly avoid getting scammed at a mechanic.

Did you notice that it wasn't shifting into 4th before they had told you that? I'd be curious as to what codes they pulled from the computer.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Most likely the 3 - 4 shift solenoid is busted / something funky with it. I had the same problem in my car. I lost 4th gear on the highway after cruising at about 80mph then stopping cause there was an accident ahead. I tried to move and it didnt go anywhere, at that point I shifted thru all the gear ranges and it finally moved. Once I got going it didn't upshift to 4th & I noticed that the car was doing like 3000 rpm @ 55mph. :lol: I took it back to the trans shop & scanned the codes myself (lol, I don't have my own scanner) I forget what they were specifically but it was something like 3-4 solenoid stuck or something. I was going to replace the solenoid with one from a wrecked bull he had on hand (the trans shop owner) but suggested swapping in the whole trans since my fluid was kinda burned. Which he did. I have since installed a trans cooler. :lol:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by danesmoney@Aug 5 2004, 10:40 AM
xman what was the damage (price)?

drazzsho are you or did you still drive the car while it was stuck in 3rd and did it do any damage to the car...?
Well since it was the 2nd time around, he didn't charge me for the trans. I gave him $200 for labor. ( I took full advantage of the wrecked bull and yanked a bunch of stuff)

I'm sure your car isn't stuck in 3rd gear though. It's most likely not entering 4th gear. I guess it'd be ok to drive like that for a little bit, but don't be surprised if it quits moving.

·
Registered
902 Posts
transmission on a taurus is big$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.i just had a friend do mine and lets put it this way the labor was more then the transmission. :ph34r:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Auto zone may not have the equipment to pull tranny codes.
Unless it is right around the corner, call them and ask if they can get the tranny codes before making the trip.

If not, any transmission shop will have a Snap-On scanner that WILL get the codes, but it may cost a few $$ (as in, about $40 or more)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.