Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Ford Taurus the transmission is good, then I have a 1993
Ford Taurus wagon, it’s only driving in 1st gear, will the transmission interchange?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would try fixing the problem with the transmission rather than replacing the entire thing anyway. (Btw if you plan on paying anyone to replace the transmission, the cost of labor will be the same as just buying another transmission.)

Also, does it just stay in 1st gear without even trying to shift? Does it slip at 2nd gear and just not go into gear? Did it gradually get worse? Did it stay stuck in 1st all of a sudden? There are a multitude of sensors and solenoids that can go bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so at first it was slipping, now I can only go up to between 15-25mph and it’ll just rev up won’t go any faster.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Probably a bad solenoid or range sensor, but try changing out the VSS sensor first. (Vehicle Speed Sensor), it tells the computer how fast the vehicle is going. If that sensor is bad, the computer doesn't know when to shift.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Reason not interchangeable, early model years used AX4S, newer model years used AX4N.
Symptom points to the VSS it sits on the tail end of the transaxle and is held in place with clamp and 8mm bolt.
You need to remove nylon gear and clip to reinstall on new VSS.
vss.jpg

AX4S - Synchronous
Example 1: Cruising at 25mph (3rd gear), you floor it, it downshifts to 2nd gear briefly, then into 1st.

Example 2: Full throttle acceleration from a stoplight to 35mph or so, then let off the gas. The transaxle will up-shift to 2nd gear very briefly, then finally into 3rd gear where it needs to be.

In other words, it has to shift in order 1-2-3-4 and 4-3-2-1

AX4N - Non-Synchronous

Example 1: Cruising at 25mph (3rd gear), you floor it, it skips second and downshifts directly to first.

Example 2: Full throttle acceleration from a stoplight to 35mph or so, then let off the gas. The transaxle will upshift directly to 3rd gear, skipping second.

In other words it can shift how ever it wants 1-3, 3-1, 2-4, 4-2, etc..

The AX4N is a more efficient transaxle. The ability to skip un-needed gears helps reduce wear and tear. Mechanically, the AX4S and AX4N are very similar, but hydraulically, they are not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts