Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a question about the transmission in my 2006 Taurus 4th Gen Vulcan 3.0 L V6.

I pulled live data from OBDII scanner and it gave a reading of "Highest Gear Allowed 3"

The car runs great I just thought it had 4 gears maybe I'm wrong.. Anyone know about this type of Live data reading?

Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
There are other "pids" which show which gear is commanded and which gear you are in. What do they say?

Does it look / feel like you are staying in 3rd gear when you get above 45mph? Do you have the gear selector with 2 "D"'s? What happens when you shift between them.

Although we may think of 4th gear as "Overdrive", I believe it is actually a 4th gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the all info the car seems to run normally it's not starving for another gear it shifts pretty quick out of the gate and no issues even after 45 to 80 mph.. It does have 2 D's on the center console I've never dropped in to the 2nd D though.. I'll monitor the shifts next time out I've never counted them..

thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,907 Posts
I agree with rjacket..... Use a scan tool to look at gear selected, gear commanded by the PCM, and actual gear tranny is in.

If tranny is in OD, RPM should be around 2000 at 60 mph. If in third RPM at 60 mph will be near 3000 RPM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts