Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Taurus had been sitting at the airport in below 0F weather for about a week. I started the engine and heard a grinding noise that lasted about a minute then disappeared. I put the vehicle in reverse and there was no engagment. There is also no engagment in any gear. There were no prior indications that the transmission was having problems.

I pulled the valve body from the transmission to check the pump for worn or broken parts and things seemed normal. When I put the pump shaft back into the torque converter, it spun freely. Is this normal, or should the splines engage some driving source and and not be able to spin? The shaft splines have no noticible wear or stripping.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
My 2003 Taurus had been sitting at the airport in below 0F weather for about a week. I started the engine and heard a grinding noise that lasted about a minute then disappeared. I put the vehicle in reverse and there was no engagment. There is also no engagment in any gear. There were no prior indications that the transmission was having problems.

I pulled the valve body from the transmission to check the pump for worn or broken parts and things seemed normal. When I put the pump shaft back into the torque converter, it spun freely. Is this normal, or should the splines engage some driving source and and not be able to spin? The shaft splines have no noticible wear or stripping.
[/b]
when you insert the pump shaft into the TC it should not spin. get a flashlight and see if the splines are missing on the converter side. The more common pump failure in on the valvebody side where the male shaft mates with the softer female pump assembly. I have had one strip out on me a few years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I pulled the T/C and sure enough the splines of the female side in the converter were stripped. Any ideas what would cause this? The last thing I want to do is install a new T/C and button things back up and have this occur again.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
So I pulled the T/C and sure enough the splines of the female side in the converter were stripped. Any ideas what would cause this? The last thing I want to do is install a new T/C and button things back up and have this occur again.
[/b]
honestly I don't know. I can't imagine your pump inside the valvebody seizing up and stripping the TC. I just imagine the TC being more beefy than the valvebody. My recommendation is to pop the pump cover off of the valve body and give it a good inspection to make sure it has not been binding. beyond that replace the TC clean the valvebody passages if there is any shavings in there and put it back together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought a 2003 that had the same thing happen to it.. vulcan motor with the ax4n.. the splines in the converter tore off.. I replaced the TC, pump shaft, and since I saw some evidence of scrapes in the pump I replaced the valve body with a used unit..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts