Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so the other day im driving home and im gettin off the highway. as soon as the car drops from 3rd to 2nd the whole engine just jumped like 2 times, and did it again when it went from 2nd to 3rd. so i pull over for a min check my tranny fluid its fine. so i start up and now it wont shift out of 1st. i take it to a local shop and they say that it is the prindle. wtf is a prindle and how can i keep this from happening again. i freaked out thinkin i blew the tranny. thx

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
they must be real pricks if they told you that and didn't explain its function.

park, reverse, nutral, drive, low (PRNDL) just as it says on your dash .It is your gear position switch, it tells the computer what gear you have the car in so the computer can react accordingly. when mine was going out I was crusing on teh highway and it hammered it into second gear stayed there for a mile or so and then went back to normal. then later that day it got stuck in second gear and stayed there. the sensor itself isn't that expensive and should be outlined on your repair manual. you should beable to change it out your self.

I can't imaging it would cost much (try a junkyard if your cheap), but if you let it keep slamming your tranny around it may cause damage to the tranny.

I can't believe nobody chimed in here, this is a relitively simple problem.

G

·
Originally posted by somedude@Oct 10 2004, 03:20 PM
I can't believe nobody chimed in here, this is a relitively simple problem.
Not everyone will know the answer, also it's the weekend. Not a lot of people sit around the computer waiting for the next problem to show up. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prindle=PRNDL i feel so dumb...

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Not everyone will know the answer
yeah I thought about that after I posted and your right, I feel like a ass now.

also it's the weekend. Not a lot of people sit around the computer waiting for the next problem to show up.
:eek: what are you incinuating :p

that sensor should show up as a code, more than likely as a intermintant (sp) failure

I would start there.

BTW you know the car has to be running in park when you check the fluid level right? it kind of sounded like you turned it off to check the fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem it is in 3rd gear and suddenly downshift to 2nd gear and then back to 3rd gear. I was looking at the haynes repair manual and the sensor is called a transmission range sensor. How much effort to install this sensor.

Art Bolanos

·
Registered
292 Posts
like I said in the other thread....5 minutes and you're done... :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts