Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2001 Mercury Sable. It has the 3.0 Flex fuel engine. I was stopped at a red light and when the light changed my car would not move, forward, reverse, nothing. Sounded like I heard a faint noise when I initally pushed on the accelator to move. It will go into park but nothing else. I had it towed home. Yesterday a local auto shop came over to put the computer on it and check codes. The mechanic unhooked to plug for the transmission before connecting the computer without thinking, when he then hooked the computer up it did not show any codes. It ran a test and got no info from the torque converter. The fliud pressure showed about 15 psi. When you put it in drive and rev the engine I can hear a "whining" noise. Fluid level is good. No leaks under the car. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It does not appear to be the CV Shaft.
Oh crap man I'm sorry I had 13 tabs open and posted in wrong thread ...oops.

Your issue does sound related to the torque converter unfortunatly. Common failure points are the torque converter splines, pump shaft and the pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the trans need to come out to check the pump shaft? I know it has to come out for the torque convertor to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts